◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans
Topic:

"A Music Adventure." [locked]

james
level 21
"A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 4:40 a.m.
thesixtyone's vision was to make music discovery a fun, adventurous experience with persistent reputation and rewards. for everyone else, we created a homepage where mainstream audiences could easily start listening to good music...a place that personifies people getting excited about music simply because they enjoy it.

remember how our baby boomer parents spent those lazy sunday afternoons flipping through LPs at their local record shop? that's the feeling we wanted to carry over to listening to music on the browse page. click on a bunch of songs, stumble across something you like ("whoa, what is this!?"), and get rewarded for helping others discover buried treasure. if it's good, your point rewards give you more influence and reputation.

"browse:newest" diverged from this spirit and became a game of who happened to be constantly refreshing that particular page and who had a fast trigger finger. where's the adventure in that? moreover, this avenue doesn't ultimately scale when we've got hundreds of tracks being uploaded every hour and millions of eager listeners all elbowing each other to stake out the latest coconut records song.

we're going to be moving away from "browse:newest," and this is the first step towards re-focusing on the founding vision. we know that there's definitely going to be some growing pains, but please bear with us. sam and i are working very hard (it's 4:30am and we're in california) on some new features that will continue to lubricate the music discovery experience on thesixtyone.

you all know what we're all about if you've been with us long enough. thanks again for sticking with us on this epic journey towards good music.

reply »

Alex Gloworld
level 15
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 4:44 a.m.
Cheers for the update James, as someone who recently joined thesixtyone I appreciate yours & Sams efforts with the site.
Looking forward to seeing how things develop from here!
Alex

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 4:54 a.m.
Seconded, Alex.

I won't be sad to see Browse:Newest disappear, but I'm hoping still to be able to find groups like ZUBA and Switchfront. I'm looking forward to trying out all the new innovations. I'm sure we'll stress test anything you put up pretty hard.

reply »

gisjoel
level 31
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 4:57 a.m.
i must admit, browse:newest did create more of a game than an avenue for music discovery. I hope this doesn't lead to more artist advertising when they're about to post new music just so it can be discovered.

reply »

buffyslayergal
level 34
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 4:57 a.m.
You know, it took me weeks to discover that "browse: newest" even existed, and some of the best times I had on the site were spent, as you have said, 'digging for buried treasure.' I was never a big fan of the rush/competition to the DISCOVERY and the singular focus on points, points, points.

My friend and I even rebelled about a month back, spending 5000+ points just randomly on great, already-charted music to demonstrate that we weren't just in it for the "chip game" as we have come to call it (you know when you play poker for fun with people who don't really care? you get the idea...).

What I am trying to say is that I am thrilled with the change. You both have done a great job thus far; I trust you from here on out.

reply »

ZUBA
level 15
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 5 a.m.
Thanks for this great site and overall to keep it working for the love of the music... surely this decision won't make everybody happy but I think you're right to keep the real meaning of this site and of all the hard work you're doing.
Cheers
Jacob/Zuba

reply »

eatabagel
level 21
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 5:07 a.m.
Hey James and same,
Like the new changes but I wonder if you will be changing some things back to the way they were before.
- Should we be able to Discover more than one song per 3 hours now that we are all digging and searching.
- Will we be able to sort by recently bumped as well as activity?
- Will more points be rewarded now for earlier bumping or lower cost per bump? People may be tearing through points now.
Just a few things this brought to mind.
It's gonna be fun!!

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 5:23 a.m.
Awesome.

reply »

carolannpearce
level 41
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 5:30 a.m.
Cheers to getting rid of the "gang-bang" approach to discovering new music....

But, I must admit, I already miss the "mystery" song aspect, no picture, no names, not know who's bumped and how many times. Trying to guess if I've heard the voice before or recognize the writing style. Maybe a mystery version of the Rack?

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 5:40 a.m.
Cheers to getting rid of the "gang-bang" approach to discovering new music....

Hmm, I think I've found TONS of music through using the Browse:Newest sphere. Varied types as well.

I'm not sure that all this does is move people from Browse:Newest to Home:New, as far as the "gang-bang" approach.

I'll continue subscribing to folks with interesting mix and watching the ticker on my profile for activity from them.

\\still hoping for the ability to purchase an ALBUM through thesixtyone. Not much on buying MP3s, but there are four albums on my list to get as soon as 61 can link it. I'd rather do it through here than elsewhere, since this site is the source of me finding these groups. (lunavelis, Your Vegas, Ro Tierney, the moon and monday... for starters)

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 6:05 a.m.
Nothing will ever be posted if people only scour the Home:New page. Don't worry, I've been scouring harder than ever today.

On the weekend I flipped through a few thousand used records and it was great. I found a Brian Eno LP. What kind of person that would buy an Eno disk would get rid of it? But I digress.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 6:22 a.m.
Don't worry, I've been scouring harder than ever today.

Browse::Newest was a nice way to find it without this becoming a task. I would click on the top one and let things play through the page. Then I might check other songs by the group, if I found one I particularly liked.

\not trying to sound whingy, just giving a perspective of one user.

reply »

SuzyQ
level 17
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 6:29 a.m.
"Newest was a nice way to find it without this becoming a task."

Points rewards and reputation are valuable for a reason. If you want to passively discover new music (which is totally cool, that's most people), well, that's what the homepage is for, right?

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 6:31 a.m.
Sure... except that is just discovering what everybody else thinks is cool, which may not have full cardinality with mine.

Well, I'm seeing I'm not expressing my view properly, so I'll sit back and read instead.

reply »

birdman
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 6:36 a.m.
I think Supergrover have a point here, I used to do the exact same thing. The Browse:Newest gave us a chance to check out all new bands that got posted, aside from the competition. Plus it favored momentum, because if you bumped a song a bunch of times people tended to do the same. Now it's gonna be harder for lesser known bands, because nobody is going to be looking for them. Some bands I really liked here I didn't even know their name when I first heard them, how I'm I supposed to find them now? I think maybe something can be done with the rack, a personalized rack shuffling artists you already bumped with undiscovered artists that sound similar.

reply »

zagudabuda
level 19
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 6:37 a.m.
I'm ready to pick my shovel up and get back on this metaphorical route to adventure. Thanks for insuring in me yet again that treasure hunting is a legit profession.

reply »

KatLeb
level 14
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 6:54 a.m.
Just what the doctor ordered!! I love this place, and it's just great how you guys are so dedicated. <3 thesixtyone

reply »

moosebumps
level 16
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 7:11 a.m.
I as well did not discover the browse:newest page until two weeks in. It was then that I really got hooked. I thoroughly enjoyed weeding through the day's fresh uploads and finding some new ear candy.

I feel sorry for unknown artists that will come to this site and upload their songs only to have them sit stagnant and undiscovered.
I hope the artists and other listeners have enough time to do the leg work that is now required to bring these acts to the front. I don't have that kind of time.

Not to mention...

Who doesn't love a good gang bang?

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 7:20 a.m.
Also agreed in full, moosebumps.

I found a ton of artists that will likely never break 100 bumps in three months, much less make the front page via Browse:Newest. Now I will rpobably thumb through other's playlists more, maybe listen to the rack more.

But the hardcore gamer in me has already found a - much messier - way to play the old game. I point it out not to thumb my nose, or to complain, but as I said - it's a stress test on the new system. Addicts want their crack, and there's still a way to get it.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 7:21 a.m.
I feel sorry for unknown artists that will come to this site and upload their songs only to have them sit stagnant and undiscovered.
It left me supposing that there will be a flurry of "what other song do they have?" for the groups that manage to make the Home::Hot::New tab. Looking at the 0 bump in the thing reminds me of the value of the quick "next" button at the top of the page.

I think it does give new emphasis to the rack, but I don't know how good a thing that is.

----------
I think Supergrover have a point here,

We are singular. ;)

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading