◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung
Topic:

"A Music Adventure." [locked]

rkeller4
level 18
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 2:39 a.m.
every song was a newest song.

reply »

TejozListens
level 33
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 3:35 a.m.
<<<>> quoting myself hahaha

what i mean is i'm suggesting a feature that allow us to browse by newest artist registering, instead of newest song uploaded

reply »

TejozListens
level 33
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 3:36 a.m.
hmmm how come my quote didn't show up anyway the quote was

"hmmm what about instead of browsing newest songs,
browse for newest artist. not artist with the smallest point, but newest to register" by myself

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 4:59 a.m.
Exactly -- before the newest songs were getting orders of magnitude more attention than songs from the activity page.
Anecdote != evidence.

Also, Edwin got a lot of listens from the Scramble and also gisjoel actively recommended him to others (myself included) before the browse::newest dropped.

reply »

Clinkz
level 16
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 5:08 a.m.
Actually, he had a good number of listeners well before that. There was this interesting discussion amongst early fans about the ape-like photo he was using and how it probably wasn't helping his plight for more exposure.

reply »

Edwin Tejoz
level 27
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 5:42 a.m.
hahahaha (^^;)

reply »

Edwin Tejoz
level 27
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 5:44 a.m.
ou ou ou
then, ps: also a lot of bumps thx to scramble nite and gisjoel \(^O^)/
so that's where I get listener from hahaha

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 6:21 a.m.
@Clinkz:
I only meant the resurgance that Edwin received last week. He had commented on it to me.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 11:07 a.m.
<<< every song was a newest song. >>>

Well, every song didn't have an equal opportunity. Songs that were uploaded late at night or on weekends (in US time) often languished. For example, Levi Weaver accidentally uploaded his "Idioteque" cover twice. The first time was something like 1:30 AM Pacific time, and I was awake then and bumped it, but over 3 days it only got 100-ish bumps. When he accidentally removed and re-uploaded it during the middle of the day, the song was posted within 6 hours. Similarly Santogold's "Creator" was uploaded very late at night Pacific time. It hung around for weeks before it got posted, and judging by the attention it's received since it would have been popular more quickly if it had been uploaded later in the day.

And of course the older songs were the less attention they got -- despite the existence of the activity page, the only way to get an older song posted was to organize some sort of "intervention" among top users. Now it seems like even older songs can get to the front page "organically" by drawing attention off the activity page or even the Rack.

This is all still anecdotal of course but it's the closest we can get to evidence without seeing statistics (which I guess James and Sam could compile if they had nothing better to do :).

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 11:18 a.m.
Also with Weaver & Santogold, I suspect people are less apt to either listen to or risk points on artists they don't know. Subsequent tracks for unknown artists tend to accumulate points quicker (based on anecdotal observation)

reply »

Apocalypse
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 11:19 a.m.
@ the recent change in Browse>Week :

I like the change. Now, let's get Browse>Day and I think it's a good compromise.

/I still ask, what was broken that needed fixin' in the first place, but I fully put my faith in the Higher Power (Sam & James) WWS&JD;?

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 3:36 p.m.
Incidentally, I think that as part of this change we get less rewards for bumps depending on the level of the artist. I like that in theory but I'm not sure about it in practice...

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 3:41 p.m.
I hadn't noticed, but I'll try to either confirm or deny.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 3:54 p.m.
That's been in effect since December.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 4:45 p.m.
I am obviously super observant. At least I'm not hallucinating...

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 5 p.m.
Clearly we've been paying a lot of attention to our returns.

reply »

kemcfeely
level 29
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 7:06 p.m.
@james: Did I read that right? We pay more AND get back less? Or is the adjustment still only on the front end, i.e. we pay more to get in early on higher ranked artists?

reply »

arpkane
level 17
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 13 feb 08 7:57 p.m.
so.......

what happened to plans for a revenue-sharing system for artists?

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 8:02 p.m.
<<< @james: Did I read that right? We pay more AND get back less? Or is the adjustment still only on the front end, i.e. we pay more to get in early on higher ranked artists? >>>

As best as I can tell from going back and looking at the stuff I've bumped, you're right that we pay more and get back less. One example is the band of horses song I first bumped a few days ago; the first and second bumps cost 99 and 70-some points apiece, the song has gotten 352 bumps, but I've only been rewarded 271 points total so far. The effect is to discourage bumping popular artists early, which, judging from everything James and Sam have written, sounds intentional.

reply »

zenlunch
level 31
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 13 feb 08 9:49 p.m.
I respect your decision to make this change, afterall, this is your creation, not mine. That being said, this change most definitely impacts my musical journey. The beauty of this site was being able to log in at any time and see the latest songs that had been uploaded - the "fresh" tunes as Kos put it. That's what I found to be enjoyable - points or no points. Without that view I now have to spend more time finding those same tracks and although that extends my journey it doesn't necessarily make it more enjoyable, in fact, I'm finding it to be more time-consuming, a bit more frustrating and overall disappointing. It's like visiting someplace new without a map - sure I can get around, but it's not going to be as easy. For some this is what adventure is all about, but for others like myself adventure has a slightly different meaning. I don't want to spend all day trying to find the hidden gem. Just direct me to the newest stuff and let me dig in...that's where my adventure begins.

The bottom line is I think what you've created here is really something special. This site, in my opinion, is leaps and bounds ahead of Last.fm, Garageband, and other similar sites in terms of concept, design, and usability. So I find it unfortunate that the browse:newest function, which many users found quite useful, would get pulled because of how the point system was impacting it. There has to be a better way. Keeping to your vision is one thing - doing so at the expense of useful functionality...well, that's when the waters start to get a little muddy.

Here's hoping you bring back some form of browse:newest in the near future so my journey toward good music can continue.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading