◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung
Topic:

"A Music Adventure." [locked]

kemcfeely
level 29
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 14 feb 08 4:02 a.m.
@shayborg: So the plan is to discourage popularity? This makes me just bump a band I like (like Band of Horses) once, somewhere in the middle...get a few points...forget about it (I have the albums). This may be fine (I don't think so) for bands like Band of Horses, but what about Ve, or the moon and monday, or Levi Weaver? So you discourage bumping (the bump cost is high early on) and discourage multi-bumping (your rewards are diminished)...not an ideal solution. They have already made the cost of entry higher on the popular bands, they don't have to make the rewards smaller also.

Isn't the point to discover bands...some people may have never heard of Band of Horses before they got here. They are out there...

reply »

dohnut
level 13
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 14 feb 08 4:39 a.m.
You don't have to bump songs to discover music, you know.

IMO, this is a simple idea that works: it's less lucrative to bump higher-profile bands. Doesn't mean you won't earn points, it's just it relatively more challenging. I would imagine that there's more skill/challenge in bumping a brand new artist versus the next Band of Horses upload.

reply »

kemcfeely
level 29
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 14 feb 08 5:46 a.m.
@dohnut: I spent 15 minutes writing a very well thought out and moving reply, but it is not showing up...so I will boil it down to:

1. Like I didn't konw that
2. Show support
3. More songe from bands
4. Not everyone knew everything
4a I like to "mine" as much as the next guy
4b I found plenty from browse->newest, hot/new/activity, etc.
5. More bumps, more popular, more exposure, hot/new/activity.

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 14 feb 08 6:50 a.m.
Browse:Week is definitely a step in the right direction. It's not as pouncy as Browse:New was, but on the downside it's still hard to find the freshest tracks in 42 pages of songs coming over the last 7 days. That will only get harder as uploads/day increases.

But, sam&james; have at least laid the groundwork for a Browse:Last24hours (Which I think would be a really great thing to implement now.

Another thing to experiment with would be a single page showing "Most recent 50 uploads". the61 has a pretty hard and fast template of showing only 10 songs at a time on any one page, and this is, IMO, the core of the Brand-Spanking New problem. There needs to be a way to sort out the newest of the new relatively easily while not creating the dogpile effect on everything that shows up. Showing a big list of 50 (randomly ordered) newest songs on a page gives you a place to dig for the new stuff, but doesn't point to the newest songs with big flashing lights.

As for more established bands being more expensive to bump early, I have no problem with that. An early bump on Band of Horses will pay for itself in time - even if it takes 10% of your point total to do it - but a 10x bump on them from a high ranked listener won't pay itself back easily - and is a sign that listener just likes the hell out of that song.

I would also posit that artists like Ve, Moon and Monday, and Levi Weaver are established - on the61 at least. Pretty much anything they put up will get a couple hundred bumps over the first few weeks, if not days, so they would be "easy money" if the bump-expense structure didn't make them a little more dear to hit early now. With the expense structure the way it is, the easy money is not so easy, and you'll think twice about it unless you actually like the song or think it really will do well. Makes sense to me.

reply »

LeChfeck
level 11
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 14 feb 08 7:25 a.m.
I just want to say a big "THANKS !" for deleting the browse -> New.
Now, artists can hope for more than being world-famous for 15 minutes. There are already some great "old" and underrated songs who hits the homepage these last few days.

Adding any disguised feature in order to have more information about the posting date will bring us back to this sad reality : The SixtyOne is a scouting game which can be play without sound.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 14 feb 08 8:58 a.m.
Isn't the point to discover bands...some people may have never heard of Band of Horses before they got here. They are out there...

I'm one of them.
They were the first band I listened to (Is there a ghost?) and bumped.

I _did_ eventually buy the albums, after waiting to see if there would be a way to do it through this site, and only found them because of this site. I had actually given up on broadcast radio and was hauling my old CDs around.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 14 feb 08 9 a.m.
Now, artists can hope for more than being world-famous for 15 minutes.

Yes, exactly. Now they get mired in the muck just like before and have to hope that somebody gets to find them and that enough somebodys find them so they might possibly make the Home::New and _THEN_ get to be famous for 1 hour instead!

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 14 feb 08 9:02 a.m.
The SixtyOne is a scouting game which can be play without sound.

No. It is a music discovery site that has an incentive/reward system to actually listen to something new.

Frankly, you could sit at Home::New and just throw a 5 pointer on everything that showed up and wait for it to go to 400+.

Just being a scouting lame is a weak insult. There's no reward, so why play if no sound?

reply »

CheGriffin
level 17
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 14 feb 08 9:04 a.m.
Dude, grover my boy, you always have to have the last word, huh? You can buy albums once you've clicked the "buy" link on a song you've liked. It's a referral link. Heck, you can even buy a book and the referral will still work as long as the link originated from this site. This should be pretty obvious.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 14 feb 08 9:16 a.m.
Where did that come from?
It's a topic I find interesting, is there a post limit for me?

I was told that the referral only applied as deep as the original click. Nobody has contradicted that, so that was my supposition.

Che, it looks like you're trying to have the last word!!

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 14 feb 08 12:14 p.m.
Fie on both of you. I want the last word!

Off topic? You bet!

Ahem:

Zzxt

(you can look it up).

reply »

The Bridge End Dairy Company
level 10
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 14 feb 08 4:03 p.m.
I've waiting a while to see if I could cope without the browse:newest feature. I'm not a point manic but I figured it was the easiest way to see what was new. I realize now I spent an inordinate amount of time hovering on this page and now that it's gone I'm much better off.

As a listener my more obscure picks are now getting bumps on a regular basis, which is kind of nice. I don't just receive a whole lump of points for something I bumped in the past hour. This takes away the rushy feeling and lets me just enjoy the rack and pick what I like rather than what I think might be popular. Knowing songs I've bumped will at least have a chance of getting some bumps in the future is good and allows me to worry a lot less about where I spend my points.

As a band it means I'm now getting the occasional bump after having gone without any for a long while, which again is kind of nice. I was losing interest in my band account completely.

I like the fact that it feels more like music exploration now rather than a A&R; collective. It seems like people are switching a bit from bump what they think everyone else will like to bumping what they personally enjoy.

So all in all, I think it was a good move. Keep up the good work guys.

reply »

LMMS
level 30
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 14 feb 08 4:31 p.m.
After weeding through 12 pages of commentary on this subject, I felt it time I weighed in. I will admit that, at the start, I was annoyed by the changes - like most of the community at large. However, I have to say that I'm now coming to appreciate what's going on here. Sure, removing the browse:newest option makes it much harder to find the most recent uploads from artists. But, it's allowing other deeply hidden gems to be uncovered by those of us who may have missed them the first time around. Additionally, I'm finding myself listening to the home page and the rack more than ever - both of which are introducing me to bands I didn't even know existed here on the sixtyone.

Another thing I have noticed is that these changes seem to coorelated with the increased number of revives I have seen. I think that this is a great thing if for no other reason than there are new sixtyone listeners every day that don't have the power to bump a song when it's going to cost them 50+ points. The revives not only allow them the ability to bump a great song without falling into the dreaded point pit, but because revives are instantly awarded home page status, new listeners are introduced to artists they may otherwise never hear.

There's only one thing I would really like to see return to 'normal'; and that's the fact that 'discovered by' has now changed to 'first bumped by'. I'm all for the 'first bumped'; but given that we have to really hunt for things now, I think that 'discovered' is a much more appropriate word.

Also, I should say that I like some of the other ideas that have floated through here such as implementing a browse:last 24 hours and making folks wait to multi-bump. Good stuff!

My nickel's worth...

reply »

notdoingmyjob
level 27
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 15 feb 08 6:38 a.m.
Discovering is easy. Search for max = 0. Plenty there that nobody bumps.

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 15 feb 08 6:51 a.m.
Heh. Some of them have no bumps for a reason.

In order to catch all the new posts, you're going to have to refresh max=0 once a minute. That requires a lot more dedication than perching around Browse:New did.

reply »

mikegreen
level 26
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 15 feb 08 6:56 a.m.
Yep - I've tried it for the last couple of weeks without the browse new page, and I think it's better. I listen to and enjoy more stuff on its own merits, without wanting to cut short and rush to the next track before it gets bumped into the stratosphere, and I've found more great new stuff and worried less about points. And ya know, I seem to be getting more points as well - not that this bothers me too much, as I don't have the time to game so much that I'll ever have a shot at being in the top 100 listeners even. But I do have the points to appreciate the artists I have found.

As as for new stuff being hard to find - how did Half Acre Day manage to get into the top bands in about a week due to the sheer number of bumps? They were new here, and they soon took off. And I've seen some older uploads take off weeks after they appeared, which didn't seem to happen so much before the change - that's gotta be good too, yeah?

I understand that some may think that the change holds back the gaming aspect and slows down your points surge. and maybe it does at the higher levels, but for me it's similar to the difference between being rich and being happy - I'd rather be happy listening and discovering, than obsess about points and need to top the leader board. Maybe I'm too European.....!

reply »

LMMS
level 30
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 15 feb 08 10:11 a.m.
Hi Mike - In response to your comment about Half Acre Day, I think they were just in the right place at the right time. I found them while looking through browse:activity and clicked on them because I thought the band title was catchy. Then, when I hit their page I found I really liked their music. Combine that with rack play, tunebox messages and subsciptions and viola!

And I'll second your comment regarding rich vs happy. These changes have really allowed me to reset my attitude back to what this site is really about - giving talented artists a place to have those of us who really care about music hear what we wouldn't otherwise. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Hooray for the sixtyone!!

reply »

kemcfeely
level 29
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 15 feb 08 11:15 a.m.
@mike/lmms: Half Acre Day first uploaded in the "last days" of Browse->Newest. Then the continued to upload quality track after quality track.

They are a great band...There isn't one thing they have uploaded I haven't enjoyed.

reply »

notdoingmyjob
level 27
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 16 feb 08 4:48 a.m.
lyzie: I never said the discoverey's would be new or good, just that discovery is no effort in and of itself.

I think this sums it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciG-Xs7mBwU

It's fun to be first but it doesn't warrant a special status over subsequent bumps.

reply »

rdub
level 12
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 18 feb 08 4:30 p.m.
I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere in the forums - but since I haven't been able to find a thread - I'm gonna ask here:

Are there any plans for any more "social" options such as direct messaging, additional information to add to profiles, multiple pictures, etc...

Also, is there a particular reason there isn't a plain jane forum where anybody can start a thread or topic?

I think that as much as we enjoy discovering great music, it would be nice to discover other people with similar tastes - and be able to connect with other users beyond just scribbling up their wall.

Just curious anyway. Thanks for the only site I use as much as I do Gmail.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading