◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans
Topic:

"A Music Adventure." [locked]

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 7:23 a.m.
Now I will rpobably thumb through other's playlists more, maybe listen to the rack more.

That reminds me of my other favorite habit:
Clicking on a user and listening to their three. Sometimes you find a good song that has no bumps (Such as "Cool Rain" that I found in someone's today)

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 7:25 a.m.
It left me supposing that there will be a flurry of "what other song do they have?" for the groups that manage to make the Home::Hot::New tab.

Soooo true. I spent on the order of 400 points on Jet Set Satellite this morning in the wake of Vegas hitting the front page yesterday. The joys of muscle to flex, yes. But I wouldn't have been able to do that at all without Vegas hitting in the first place...

reply »

eatabagel
level 21
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 7:28 a.m.
I would agree. My biggest concern is that most of the artist I have found here that I had never heard before will show up less and less with fewer uploads because of the slower discovery time of the users.

I do understand that this is an adventure but it was also my understanding that we were here for the artist. Just because the users "myself included" can be greedy hawks I don't think we should punish them.

reply »

mattynabib
level 39
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 7:59 a.m.
I have to agree with eatabagel, and some of the previous comments. Users always have the option to trawl at random through the stacks: The Rack, Browse > Random, any number of search - and even wander - criteria are available. This is great, particularly for those who are higher level and have points to burn. When one gets to that level, you don't feel any need to discover someone early just to get the points.

However, for newcomers who might need to try and build up their points, being able to sit on Browse > Newest and find discoveries they think are worthwhile is invaluable. Most people - at least after spending some time on T61, will not arbitrarily discover a song just because no one else has; if a song sucks (at least to you), there's no point in discovering or bumping it because chances are you don't expect others will like it either. Good songs still get found and bumped - with the system in place, I've found more great new music through T61 than any other site or service I've ever used. Pandora, LastFM, iLike. shuffling through iTunes shared playlists... all pretty good, but it has been the "calculated bet" and "right place, right time" factors, along with the acquisitive, stock-market-like aspect that has made t61 addictive, not just a good place to find music. I expect I will be less likely to check the site as regularly, and as a result I will discover significantly less music than I might otherwise.

Smilarly, for newer and lesser-known bands it feels like this system will make it take far longer for them to get discovered. Whereas they will still only "go viral" if their music is good and people bump and comment on them, at least previously there was a clear pipeline through which new material was coming. Like the "newly arrived" rack at a record store, perhaps, but updated by the second - and with the mystery aspect, which I always have enjoyed.

Perhaps the Browse > Newest section can be considered the "grunt-work" area, where newbies go to put in some time and build their fortunes, so they can then later go out and spend lavishly on whimsy later. The nice thing is that along the way, they STILL discover a ton of great music, perhaps just not being as profligate with their bumps. But it feels like a very important part of the site, and removing it may well penalize new members by making it harder to build that "fortune." Some of the changes since I joined have already made it a lot harder to level-up and regain points if you want to be more generous with your bumps - I haven't had a prayer of getting past level 10 for weeks now. This change feels like it will make it even harder.

I personally already miss the Newest section, and I think that its removal will detract from the overall fun, enjoyment AND discovery of theSixtyOne. One man's view, that's all.

reply »

Rain Vieria
level 8
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 8:01 a.m.
I truly enjoy this site, it's stellar so before I whine I want to congratulate you on thesixtyone. I have total respect for your original vision, no one can deny you of that, congrats to you for sticking to your guns.

However, for me as an unknown amateur artist I guess I feel like my stuff will be even more obscured by the more established artists. The great anonymity of the NEWEST tracks made listeners open their ears and judge a song on it's sound, I guess to me I saw opportunity there to be heard, now I'd bet I will fall even further under the shadow of the artists with a fan base that can be used to solicit bumps. in my limited experience I rarely saw a crap song get "gang banged" as some have said. I have seen lots of established artists songs that weren't the best offering get mega bumpage due to an established following.
~Rain

reply »

dotish
level 19
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 8:47 a.m.
I agree 100% with mattynabib. For me, the Browse>Newest is what made the site so addicting, and I found LOTS of great music I would never have listened to without it. I found even more music that I never want to hear again, though, and I do not relish the thought of having to wade through that looking for the new gems.

As it is, I can still jump and bump for bands I ALREADY listen to, but won't find tracks from (as Rain puts it) the "unknown amateur" artists, making it very difficult for them.

-dot

reply »

Apocalypse
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 9:05 a.m.
I also agree that Browse>Newest was exciting. Like discovering true gems in unfamiliar places. I am not sure that this really adds a huge value and while I can appreciate the spirit of the change, without the Browse>newest, I would not have found many of the bands that I support, buy direct music from, nor the close-knit community of users that share the same addiction.

Finally, I think there are two types of users on this site. The casual user who comes in every so often to check out the Home Page, and those musicphiles dedicated to finding new music, who also enjoy the 'game' aspect. The latter group is what also makes the site so addicting and has created the community that supports it.

As always, I will relegate judgment and see how it pans out.

reply »

the Wendys
level 10
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 9:17 a.m.
No one notices any more ...

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 9:19 a.m.
There's a third group. Musicphiles that care more about music than points. I'd scout out the browse>newest once or twice a day and pick up scraps that no one else wanted and see what was new, but I spend far more time going through other listeners accounts and see what was coming up in browse>activity.

The novelty of camping out at Browse>Newest wore off after a week or two.

I was on the verge of bookmarking some music blogs and more or less leaving, but I'll stick it out and see what happens.

reply »

RadioPat
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 9:25 a.m.
I gotta admit, I am a little disappointed by the change. I liked the way the "browse:newest" page was set up. While I certainly didn't sit on the page and constantly refresh waiting for a popular band to upload a song, I did have a bit of obsession to "discover" a song. You can call it having a quick trigger finger, but I looked at it as a way to draw people to my page and seeing what else I listened to, thereby potentially increasing the bumps of other songs I liked, but weren't getting the same attention I paid them. Discovering a song would also cause more people to subscribe to my playlist, causing me to subscribe to theirs, increasing my chance of discovering new music. I was fortunate to discover a lot of songs, but a quick look at my stats page will show I probably discovered invested more points in songs that got very little attention than those that did.

I was ready to bitch and moan about the change earlier, when I discovered that there no longer was a place to go to find the newest songs uploaded all in one place. I was ready to rail against the power-that-be for springing this on us unannounced. But I read some of the other posts, trying to gauge reactions, and to keep me from sounding like a whiny child. Doing this changed my perspective a little. I liked the game aspect of the "newest" page and will miss it. It what got me to come back and what really got me into the site.

This change, however, creates a new game. I realized, reading other people's comments, that we have the tools to find newly uploaded songs a variety of ways, through the "browse:random" page, the rack, the subscription ticker, etc. While this certainly increases the work, it will make us more "active" listeners, and also allow the discovery of new songs be spread across a wider spectrum of users. There will be growing pains, but I think after a few weeks, this new system will prove successful, providing a more interesting experience for the users.

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 9:27 a.m.
Noticing is only harder now. Far from impossible if you're feeling particularly dedicated. However, dogpiling or building up a new find is now severely curtailed. That may or may not be good in the grand scheme of things.

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 9:39 a.m.
Up until today it was near impossible for older songs since the vast majority of user's time was spent on Browse>Newest and the Home Page.
We'll see if songs climb up Browse>Activity and take off more regularly now.

reply »

twinhead
level 35
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 10:11 a.m.
The means to "First bump/Discover" new tracks is available, if one applies some logic to the Browse page.

reply »

dotish
level 19
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 10:17 a.m.
Certainly logic can be applied to find unbumped tracks. It would be very helpful if there was a quick visual way to see what tracks I have already listened to and rejected - I mean "decided are not to my taste" - so I don't have to go through them again. Maybe a different color to show I have already heard them?

reply »

Mundos
level 25
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 10:23 a.m.
If you're trying to promote a music adventure, why point people toward the most popular new songs with browse by activity? It is like having two "new" lists.

Browsing by newest was flawed in that people would inflate songs by popular artists just to get points, but it didn't discriminate against songs that weren't already getting attention.

Perhaps I'm missing the greater issue here, can someone enlighten me if that's the case?

reply »

vierialistens
level 33
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 11:01 a.m.
Hmmm honestly... I enjoyed listening to every new song I could and wagering on the ones I liked, I'd get excited about trying to discover a song. I do NOT have the time or inclination to treasure hunt. Please don't take offence but for me, that distinguished this site from so many other Indie music sites out there. Slapping the hands of the hard core participants makes no sense to me. I'm guessing that the NEW and ACTIVITY pages will soon become pretty stagnant with the same artists continually popping up, while the really interesting obscure uploads will never see the light of day. Then soon it will be saturated with signed artists doing viral marketing.. more advertising... record labels... oh wait... now I get your vision ;) Shame.

reply »

Alex Gloworld
level 15
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 11:36 a.m.
As an artist what appeals to me about this site is that someone 'bumping' your track shows they like it enough to show some support for it, whereas on other sites, such as MySpace, unless someone leaves a comment on your page you have no idea whether people who listen to your music actually like it or not.

As vierialistens says above, many people don't have the time or inclination to hunt through lots of tracks to try and find something worthwhile. The Browse>Newest page may have had an element of betting/chance involved, but that is actually one of the aspects people like about this site.

reply »

comrade
level 18
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 11:42 a.m.
I'm a little sad to see browse:newest go, but for a different reason than most. I rarely used that page to bump good music early, cause honestly I don't really have time to sit on t61 refreshing pages and listening to every new song, let alone digging through thousands of tracks looking for gems. What I like the most about t61 is that it gives listeners a chance to support and spread awareness of bands we love in a very direct and quantifiable way. Therefore, I used browse:newest as a way to notice when bands I already liked join t61 so I could start supporting them immediately.

With that said, I totally understand why browse:newest was messing up the original vision of the site, and I agree that it was. I support the change, but I agree with some of the above posters that this might lead to more advertising. The feature that I want to see most is a way for the listener and artist community both to tag artists/songs based on similarity to others. Something like "If you like this, try listening to this (click here)". If enough users are submitting the same suggestions on a given song or artist, then that information becomes visible to everyone. I think this would give the community finer control over spreading awareness of music on t61 so that its not just listening to the front page, or digging through hundreds of pages.

reply »

kazimir22
level 14
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 11:44 a.m.
so now the game it to be listeners/subscribers to as many artists as possible?

reply »

timyjl
level 40
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 11:49 a.m.
One solution that would be a compromise between discouraging dog piling of new tracks by popular bands and allowing lesser known artists get discovered would be having a brows>new artist page based on the artist's level, similar to the top rookie box.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading