◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung
Topic:

"A Music Adventure." [locked]

the Wendys
level 10
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 11:58 a.m.
anyway so I said 'No one notices any more' but do they notice an less? and the good thing is, fewer bumps in the first hour but, hey, NEW LISTENERS! we got people who we hadn't seen before, and, as the great gynecologist/C&W; star Hank Wangford often said 'there are no strangers, just friends you dont recognise'

reply »

AnnieB
level 43
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 12:03 p.m.
i like comrade's and timjyl's suggestion. we should keep in mind of the artists' perspective as well. though, as mentioned above, the latest changes appear to garner new listeners so i don't know where i'm going with this.

anyway, what i liked about the browse>newest section is that if i'm gone for a period of time, i have a direct source to find the latest songs that have been uploaded chronologically.

reply »

buffyslayergal
level 34
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 12:04 p.m.
For those who are concerned that this change will suck the fun out of the whole process, and who think that more obscure artists will never get heard, you should wait and give this new arrangement a try. As I mentioned before, it took me weeks to discover that browse:newest even existed, and during that time I assure you I found a lot of music, a lot of obscure music and had a lot of fun doing it.

No matter what spin people try to put on it, the browse:newest page encouraged people to play for points. Anything that DISCOURAGES such a strategy, I feel, should be...well, encouraged.

There is also something to be said for slowing the whole process down- something positive. With the current setup, music can be posted on the site, posted on the new/home page and gone within twenty-four hours or less. It feels as if the whole thing's on fast forward. When we say it will now take "longer" for artists to get noticed, "longer" may simply mean days instead of hours, or weeks instead of days. I want to point out, too, that the rack has a skip feature, which internet radio-type sites often do not have. You can still go through A LOT of music in a short amount of time. You are still in control. And there is still fun to be had. I promise.

reply »

bananas
level 11
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 12:06 p.m.
I liked the opportunity to make lots of points quickly on the new page. I can see me not being able to accumulate enough points to bump some of the high stakes songs (and they are often the lesser known bands with few points). Maybe one a day if I listen to the rack constantly. Surely this latest system will result in many songs never being heard rather than giving them all an equal chance for an hour on the new page?

reply »

buffyslayergal
level 34
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 12:08 p.m.
Good point AnnieB on the chronology after having been away. I hadn't thought of that...

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 12:10 p.m.
Now there's an idea. What if each level you rose, you were locked out of bumping a song for another minute after posting? So a level 1 new listener could jump on a phat track after just the 1-minute listen delay, but a level 14 fatcat would have to wait 13 more minutes + 1 minute of listening to bump the song. If a song posted at 2 am and no one was around to hear it for 20 minutes, then anyone could discover it after 2:20 (since no one is level 20 yet).

This would prevent sharks from pouncing on Browse:Newest (and would allow mystery songs to stay eliminated - I never liked those), though they could add them to playlists freely and bump 'em later. It also explicitly allows dogpiling of songs - though not as rapidly as before, and allows newer users to get toeholds in the early bumps.

reply »

Alex Gloworld
level 15
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 08 feb 08 12:13 p.m.
A fair point Buffyslayergal, I for one want to give things time to settle down and see how these recent amendments pan out.
Also true about the apparent 'fast forward' nature of things, perhaps a change of gear will prove beneficial to all.

reply »

willie
level 17
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 12:18 p.m.
I'm in two minds about the change. On the one hand I was beginning to tire of hanging around the browse:newest in case I missed a great track anyway.
On the other hand sitting in 'reception' was a great place to see all those coming, the good, the bad and the down right ugly. I'm sure a lot of bands will go completely unnoticed now. But then perhaps that is the nature of popular appeal.

reply »

missi
level 28
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 12:54 p.m.
I'm not sure where I stand on all of this as I find myself agreeing with several of the conflicting opinions voiced here.

I'm concerned though, that without the ability to level up quickly, newer listeners may never really evolve into 'long-timers'. After all, without points there are no bumps. :) I remember early on when I couldn't bump songs without having to spend quite a bit of time listening to the rack to gain points. It was frustrating. And without the possibility of gaining those oh-so-necessary points, I probably would have given up altogether.
I'm certainly no 'long-timer' now, nor am I in the top levels, but I do have enough points to confidently support any of the music I like without having to concern myself with how much it will cost me or what the point return will be. How long is it going to take new listeners now to get to that point? Browse->newest was an important tool in getting there. IMHO, t61 IS an adventure. It just starts off as a game-ish type thing that grabs you and sucks you in and before you know it, turns you into a true fan of the original idea and that's when the true adventure begins.

That said, I like lyzie's suggestion very much. I'm definitely onboard with that.

reply »

Mundos
level 25
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 1:10 p.m.
Here's something to noodle on...

A page where all new songs are held for 24 hours, randomized and with no information about who or what it is. Once you've listened to a song its highlighted or checked off so you know what you've listened to.

Also, when an artist puts up a new song, it should take an hour or two before listeners are made aware of it. Without Browse Newest, people will start to default to that instead.

reply »

Mundos
level 25
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 1:28 p.m.
I re-read, let me clarify.

A lot of users have 1 song from many artists in their profiles so they'll be notified when a new song is up. Definitely doesn't help promote diversity.

reply »

batface89
level 45
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 3:06 p.m.
If I might make a suggestion about sorting by comments... it would make sense to me to sort by newest comments rather than accumulated number of comments. I'd like to see the freshest comments out there, what people are talking about. Sure, I can tell what the people I'm subscribing to are commenting on, but not the other 12,000 users ;-)

reply »

ezuk
level 14
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 3:07 p.m.
I 100% agree with ImOnlySleeping. The big problem with "Browse>Newest" was that songs used to get buried. And now, old tracks have the same chance as new tracks. The playing field has been leveled -- it's actually _good_ for the artists! :)

reply »

ezuk
level 14
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 3:14 p.m.
Mundos said:
"A page where all new songs are held for 24 hours, randomized and with no information about who or what it is. Once you've listened to a song its highlighted or checked off so you know what you've listened to."

I think that's a great idea, too! :) I vote for that one, as well.

reply »

batface89
level 45
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 3:41 p.m.
Kosmik, you speak the truth. Apocalypse and I were chatting about this today. We're 100% in agreement.

reply »

missi
level 28
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 3:47 p.m.
Amen, brothah!

I have to say that after spending a good part of today 'giving it a chance', I sit here now very disappointed. This, in a word, Bites.

reply »

Claudialistens
level 15
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 4:23 p.m.
I agree completely with Kosmik. Although i use the site a bit less at the moment the competitive part i did like very much. And not only that but also got to get to know a lot of good music through it.

The browse>>>newest isnt gone tho.....figured out i use browse>>>bumps and go to the last page with songs that has 0 bump. new ones can be found there too.

reply »

willie
level 17
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 4:32 p.m.
If the change stays the cost/rewards needs to be re jigged. In the past I wouldn't mind having a punt on a 'Newest' song knowing it's likely to be seen by others also sitting in reception checking out the new comers. Now I am unlikely to 'spend' 50 points digging something up that others are perhaps unlikely to also stumble across.

reply »

timyjl
level 40
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 4:48 p.m.
solution = bottom of page 4

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 08 feb 08 5:22 p.m.
That sounds reasonable, KR, but I would still combine it with an increasing time lockout on higher level listeners (as I proposed on p5 - clearly a superior idea because it was mine). Yes, we have the influence points, but we don't want to create or maintain a monopoly on them. We *want* new listeners to get to higher levels so they can wield high influence also. And that means keeping the sharks (self included) at bay until the smaller fishes have a chance to grab tasty bits.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading