◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung
Topic:

"A Music Adventure." [locked]

silkworm
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 11 feb 08 12:30 p.m.
Yeah, I take back the second part. The quality of songs seems to be back to the usual after several songs.

reply »

Hidari
level 13
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 11 feb 08 5:46 p.m.
KosmikRay said:
One part of the coop analogy you missed, was me grabbing the fresh feed that wasn't rotten, so I could run it over to all the hungry chicks (thats you and other boundary pushers) standing in the corner whose less-than-pop chirps were being ignored by all the other feeders.

Oh, but we aren't chicks, child.

We're KFC.

reply »

lankysob
level 41
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 11 feb 08 5:54 p.m.
And I'm Popeye's.

reply »

mike626
level 30
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 11 feb 08 8:04 p.m.
I prefer to think of myself as popcorn shrimp.

reply »

timyjl
level 40
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 11 feb 08 11:01 p.m.
[in my best Olive Oil impression] Oh Popeye!

reply »

wdeutsch
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure." | 12 feb 08 11:45 a.m.
I do mind the loss of browse->newest. It is the only way I could find to be able to bump songs and wind up with more points at the end of the day then when you started. The system you built requires that over time you earn more points then you spend. Failure to do that leads to point bankruptcy. Bumping a song with more then 200 bumps rarely leads to points a song has to explode for you to get many points after the 200 bump point.

With browse->newest I could open the site while at work and listen to new music without hunting it down. I didn't have to search or dig which are activities I can't do while I work. I could skip songs I didn't like and bump songs I did. A lot of the songs I never paid out any points even if I really liked them and bumped the heck out of them early. Some exploded and gave me TONS of points for getting in early.

With out visiting the pages of every performer I like I can't even find the new songs they release (My Subscription box only lists about 5% of the new songs of artists I'm subscribed to it is mostly useless info about artists hitting new levels). That means it's now work to find new songs from artists I know and like and even more work to find songs from artists I haven't found yet. I never bumped a song I didn't like even ones that I knew were going to explode because I knew they were from commercially successful artists or they would be popular even though I didn't enjoy them. However, no I find myself not bumping songs because when I do I'm not getting any payback.

This change may work well for people that have the time to actively use the site and hunt and dig but for those of use that don't have time but enjoy the act of find new songs and spending points you have just made it next to impossible. I'm going to give it a few more days but if I can't find an equally low energy way to participate in the site I'm going to blow my accumulated points on songs I like but have been over looked and go back to listening to my own collection of music at work.

The thing that made up for sitting through some of the truly bad music that has been uploaded and the music that just isn't my style was the game aspect. You've made the game to hard so I'm truly having a hard time finding the value in the site.

I do appreciate the work you put into the site and I think the idea is great but if it too much work to be an active participant then I don't get enough value to make it worth it for me.

reply »

JoeyTee
level 27
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 11:57 a.m.
I like the new "home->hot - "playlist of democracy"

sweet

reply »

mrvelvet
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 12:55 p.m.
When I first noticed the newest list gone my first thought was that I wouldn't be able to compete effectively, i.e. earn enough points to spend on bumping good tracks I came across without eventually becoming bankrupt. Over the last couple of days, however, I've come to like it. I am definitely at a net points loss at the moment, and the rewards are coming more slowly. The main plus point from my point of view is that I find it much more relaxing to listen to the music without constantly thinking I might be missing out on early bumps on a new track; today I went on a mining expedition and dug through a few pages in the low activity orders. I bumped some good tracks and they will (should) eventually be picked up. I think I've managed to discover, sorry, get first bump on as many new tracks as I would have when newest was in place.

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 1:40 p.m.
OOoooooooooooooo.

I spy something new... "This Week".

[i]Just[/i] as I was switching back from Browse:Bumps to Browse:Activity... a new option popped up...

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 1:55 p.m.
After seeing how it went for a few days, I think I like the change.

The downside is that it is definitely harder to build up points quickly, in the sense that it requires more skill from the listener in identifying songs that will be really popular instead of just bumping whatever sounds catchy off the newest page. I also do kind of miss knowing the newest songs on the site.

But the upside is that, as intended, I'm now spending much more time just exploring for great music. I find that the activity page is the best place for this; other users' playlists are also good sources, and the Rack is useful too (although definitely less so).

The mechanics of the activity page preserve quite a bit of that game aspect as well; as I said it takes some skill to identify which songs off that page will do well, and which will just fade away. If you "play" it for profit, it's not difficult to earn positive points off that page.* This is much more fun than the common old strategy of just reloading the browse page until, as James said, the next coconut records song pops up and then racing to bump it before everyone else.

All in all, although I definitely did enjoy the newest page before, its disappearance has made the site a mellower and overall better experience for me. Just my 2 cents.

* If anyone's interested, the optimal strategy now seems to only bump really good songs; if you have no taste you can identify them by seeing who has bumped already and how heavily. Simply stalking one or more of the top 20 users and bumping whatever they bump probably works well too. You're welcome to follow me around. :) Also only bump songs once initially to minimize your risk. If you go back and bump later after the song has made it, you receive a good portion of the rewards you would have gotten by bumping more heavily early on. I don't use or encourage this strategy but if points are really that important to you...

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 1:56 p.m.
@iyzie: Hmm... It seems to be randomly ordered. Interesting.

reply »

kazimir22
level 14
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 1:58 p.m.
hmmm...clever replacement for the newest tab.

new artists with their new music...

and no more sniping of established artists songs just for the points.

i'm happy with t61 again

unless there is something i'm missing (i'm not sure what quite the tab entails)

reply »

kazimir22
level 14
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 2:04 p.m.
wait...there are established artists...i'm still a bit confused...

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 2:36 p.m.
The "this week" section is just a randomly ordered selection of all the songs uploaded over the past week, regardless of the artist's popularity. Pretty simple. :)

reply »

wdeutsch
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 2:41 p.m.
"When I first noticed the newest list gone my first thought was that I wouldn't be able to compete effectively, i.e. earn enough points to spend on bumping good tracks I came across without eventually becoming bankrupt. Over the last couple of days, however, I've come to like it. I am definitely at a net points loss at the moment, and the rewards are coming more slowly."

Are your looses bottoming out?

It doesn't matter if you aren't loosing a ton each day but if you are at a net loss each day you will run out of points. It isn't a matter of if but when.

Its great to have faith that some time in the future older songs you bump that have stagnated will eventually have their day in the sun, but that doesn't happen.

The Sixty One is really a mirror of the billboard charts in a lot of ways. The chance for a given song to hit it big is proportional to how long the song has been released. There are outliers - songs that have been around for a while and explode but they are rare and the cost/reward system at the Sixty One doesn't support bumping songs you like and waiting for them to blow up - if you want to bump other songs.

It really comes down to point scarcity. Do you want to be able to liberally bump and push on songs or do you want to only be able to bump songs that will be popular on their own?

With the point decay rate of even popular songs you can not afford to multi-bump expensive songs and get the points back. So if you never want to go "broke" or if god forbid you want to get more levels and more multi-bumps then you need to be able spend points, but now it is much harder to get them back. It used to be easy to throw points at artists you liked but weren't going anywhere or weren't the right kind of music for this site.

The music that is most successful on this site is indy/garage pop and rock. Traditional Country, Classic and the like have a much harder time being successfully (Just look at the main page for while and check the genres that are constantly represented). Points being scarce make it harder for me to be able to spend points on songs that I like but and are done very well but aren't the right genre to be successful on this site.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 2:51 p.m.
<<< With the point decay rate of even popular songs you can not afford to multi-bump expensive songs and get the points back. So if you never want to go "broke" or if god forbid you want to get more levels and more multi-bumps then you need to be able spend points, but now it is much harder to get them back. It used to be easy to throw points at artists you liked but weren't going anywhere or weren't the right kind of music for this site. >>>

The site has been this way since the bump cost and rewards changes from a few weeks ago. The removal of the newest page doesn't have much to do with it. Points are harder to farm now, but that doesn't mean that they should always have been that easy to come by.

reply »

NapkinNinja
level 15
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 3:08 p.m.
I think wdeutsch is missing the point. Songs that are successful are always more dependent on the context and audience, not the system. Country music will do better as more country fans join thesixtyone, just as it should be.

reply »

queso76
level 19
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 3:26 p.m.
Removing the "newest" from browse is really actually hurting the site and the artists. People want to think that this makes things more pure by forcing people to aimlessly search around the site. Reasons, though that it was a bad move to remove it:

1) It hurts the artists - People who are trying to earn points and enjoy music at the same time, could listen to the newest music while also getting the chance to make points. People still have to listen for a minute, so they're being exposed to the new artists and having fun in a stock market type of game.

2) It hurts the revenues of the site - as a marketing professional myself, I'll assume that the ad impressions on this site are a large part of the viability. Since those of us that enjoy this site and the new music would like to see it continue, it would be wise to leave the "newest" filter in the browse menu. As people continually refresh the page for newer song, thesixtyone is getting more and more ad impressions.

3) It means I can't participate anymore. I got up to 3500 points and I'll have to leave the site at this time since it's no longer something I can do during my work day (something a ton of us are doing). I can check back 20 times a day for the newest music to see what's being put out there (doen't hurt the purity of the music or the intentions of the site). I can't just aimlessly search around or depend on the Rack to bring me points to continue this all - especially with the 45 minute songs that pop up and waste everyone's day.

reply »

newtonian
level 12
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 3:59 p.m.
It hurts the artists? Who are you kidding. How are you going to find good artists when there's 1,000 songs per day being added? You're telling me you have no time to look for music, but have the time to refresh a page constantly while you're supposed to be working?

Ad revenue argument, well, it's click-based...nice going, suit.

Third point: I'd say that you're probably not the right person to use the site anyways. Why should you get compensated with points and reputation for doing nothing of real value/skill?

reply »

newtonian
level 12
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 4:03 p.m.
Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I'm just tired to hearing people bitch and moan that the site isn't fulfilling THEIR egos/needs and are totally ignoring the big picture...that this place can't exist exactly as-is as it grows.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading