◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans
Topic:

"A Music Adventure." [locked]

wdeutsch
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 4:12 p.m.
"You're telling me you have no time to look for music, but have the time to refresh a page constantly while you're supposed to be working?"

I can tell you I didn't sit constantly refreshing the page. I would load the page hit play on the first track and work. If I liked something I bumped it... If I hated it I would hit the next button. Sometime later some times soon some times hours I would refresh and start at the top again.

reply »

newtonian
level 12
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 4:16 p.m.
And that's something you can't do on the homepage? Isn't that what the homepage was intended for? Passive listeners, or people who don't want to spend hours finding stuff?

reply »

wdeutsch
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 4:27 p.m.
"And that's something you can't do on the homepage? Isn't that what the homepage was intended for? Passive listeners, or people who don't want to spend hours finding stuff?"

You can do it but you won't earn enough points to bump anything. I don't have time to dedicate to the site but the big difference between this sight and most others is that I could contribute as a music fan.

You can't do that simply listening to the homepage. And you can't maintain points/promotions by bumping the songs on the homepage.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 4:31 p.m.
On the other hand I think you can earn points by just doing the same thing on the activity page.

reply »

CheGriffin
level 17
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 4:35 p.m.
That's actually not always true. I've earned a substantial amount of points bumping songs on the "new" section of the homepage that went on to reach 1000+ bumps. It's all about picking the rights ones, and it's perfect if you want to participate in the game with minimal effort AND listen to great new music.

reply »

wdeutsch
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 4:56 p.m.
"That's actually not always true. I've earned a substantial amount of points bumping songs on the "new" section of the homepage that went on to reach 1000+ bumps. It's all about picking the rights ones, and it's perfect if you want to participate in the game with minimal effort AND listen to great new music."

But thats just it I don't want to participate in the game. I want to bump the songs I like and get back enough points to bump more songs I like.

I don't have a problem with others playing a game of predicting which songs others will like I just want to be able to bump the songs I like and get points back. A song that only gets to 300 only pays out at < 120 bumps or so. The less songs I get that return well on invested points the less songs I find that I KNOW won't return on points but think deserve bumps or discovers.

reply »

silkworm
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 5:13 p.m.
Browse/Week: YES.

I still miss having the new track info hidden for the first hour, because it was so fun to listen to a song with zero pre-conceptions, but I've gotta say I'm pleased with the changes so far.

I was skeptical but I'm being won over. Keep up the good work.

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 5:28 p.m.
I think I favor Browse/week as well, but even so, it's 42 pages long at the moment, and will only get bigger. I wonder whether Browse:Day (24 hours) will eventually be needed to be tractable (it's not needed yet, though I'd love it). I also find that using browse:week by genre helps a bit, but it is still a goodly amount of sifting. On the whole a positive move, though, in my opinion.

I never liked the hidden songs and found the way to defeat it quickly.

reply »

rkeller4
level 18
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 7:16 p.m.
why are you so full of hate, newtonian?

reply »

rkeller4
level 18
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 8:31 p.m.
well - I just read through all 19 pages. I endorse what Ray has said. I think eliminating browse/new was a mistake.

People have pointed out that you can still get the same direct connection with artists (using browse/bumps?) But James and Sam seem dedicated to stamping out a direct connection wherever it may occur. The reasons really escape me.

So, for me, I expect to only connect with new music haphazardly, or through users who have the time and energy to review all the music. Either way, it's a big step backward.

If you're reading this, James and Sam, bring back browse/new!

If the site survives these growing pains, that will be wonderful. I'm rooting for it. Otherwise, others will undoubtably pick up the good pieces and carry on.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 8:38 p.m.
Don't mean to sound like a jerk,
Good you came to clarify that, because you were failing.

but I'm just tired to hearing people bitch and moan that the site isn't fulfilling THEIR egos/needs and are totally ignoring the big picture...that this place can't exist exactly as-is as it grows.
Most in here are asking "Why change something that's WORKING FOR THE USER?"

The revision doesn't change the number of clickthroughs.
I've started clicking through after actually finding out it was clickthroughs and not impressions. Kinda doesn't hurt to tell people what it takes.

Offtopic, but referring to revenue: Something else I've stated repeatedly is that we need to be able to purchase albums through the site. Some of us prefer not to just buy singles or like the physical CD. I waited and went ahead and bought four albums today from groups that I found via this site. I have future purchases to make, I'm certain.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 8:42 p.m.
also:
You're still dependant on finding some new way to find new music and none were as good as Browse::Newest.

Search on 0 bumps?
Cool... until someone bumps it before you and now it's in 1 bump.
Search on 1 bump?
Cool... until......

Search on n bumps?
Cool... until n+1

Listen to all the songs in your ticker? I was already doing that, but that is a much more active listening experience.

\still would advocate and not mind an occasional impressed audio advert.

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 9:03 p.m.
@supergrover: "\still would advocate and not mind an occasional impressed audio advert.

Noooooooooooo! Eeew. blech! Yaargh!

Let me clear the bile out of my throat and I'll tell you what I think of that idea...

Audio ads would drive at least one person screaming from the site...

reply »

silkworm
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 9:49 p.m.
The first audio ad I listen to on T61 will also be the last.

reply »

silkworm
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 9:51 p.m.
[click-click-clicks through ads...]

reply »

iWex
level 40
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 10:12 p.m.
OK -- it's been a few days now -- like not having the newest sort, seemed to give a stampede effect to the new music -- this slows the ascent of new songs and allows for more people to find them.

I've found myself digging around the site more, and listening to less BAD music. That can't be bad right?

The one thing I do kind of miss is the masking of the new songs... I thought that allowed for good music to be recognized as such.

Thought: Can the masking of songs for the first hour be reinstated, but have no sort. That forces us to browse still, but gives unknown bands a better shake.

Just a thought...

reply »

RadioPat
level 37
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 12 feb 08 10:18 p.m.
I still miss the newest option, but I must admit, its disappearance hasn't thwarted my drive to achieve more points. I've managed to be the first to bump a few songs, through sheer happenstance, and I've seen a lot of songs I bumped start bringing in large returns. The changes to the rack are great and I find myself more inclined to bump a song off the rack than I did before.
The addition of the This Week option makes me very, very happy. It provides a narrower range to search through, which is something I wanted to see from the get-go. I'm interested to see what other developments Sam and James have in store.
As has been stated before, nothing is finished and more changes are coming. I, for one, am gonna hang on to this crazy roller coaster ride as long as I can.

reply »

TejozListens
level 33
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 12:02 a.m.
hmmm what about instead of browsing newest songs,
browse for newest artist. not artist with the smallest point, but newest to register.

but i do miss the excitement browsing the newest, and my points have been slooooOOOooOOOoowly increasing after the change happen

hooowever my artist account started to get waaay more bumps, so its a bittersweet for me

reply »

TejozListens
level 33
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 12:03 a.m.
of course more bumps thx to supergrover and axan |m|(>.<)

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: "A Music Adventure?" | 13 feb 08 12:40 a.m.
<<< hooowever my artist account started to get waaay more bumps, so its a bittersweet for me >>>

Exactly -- before the newest songs were getting orders of magnitude more attention than songs from the activity page. This change might make it so that artists take more time to become popular, but it feels like the cream will still rise to the top through the Rack, the new this week page, and the activity page.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading