◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung
Topic:

Leaderboard adjustments [locked]

Glenn Case
level 20
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 20 mar 08 1:42 p.m.
I like what todash is suggesting. Supergrover was making a similar point in another thread.

Even if it was a time based thing like an artist being able to upload a new song every week or even every other week? I'd have an idea of how long it would be before I could contribute a new song to the site again, and I'd probably use the time in-between postings to create fresh material that I could put on here.

ROCK!

Glenn Case

reply »

so long, and thanks for all the bumps
level 30
re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 1:48 p.m.
(continuing/merging a thread from zuba's wall)
re: deleting tracks, you do lose the points. i'm sure everyone's first reaction is 'aarrgh! my hard won points', but it's not necessarily such a bad thing, especially when you consider that the new track you post may now get thousands of listens, that's our goal i think, to drip our tunes into as many ears as possible, not to accumulate points.

i listen to kcrwmusic.com a lot, and now i finally understand where those dj's find all that new music. the musicians send it there, cause it'll get heard.

isn't this the beauty and magnificence of t61? if the dream coalesces, musicians will flock here because of the audience, and vice versa. the newest, freshest jams, categorized, rated, commented, collected together all in one place for your listening pleasure, sweetness.

you mentioned that bands like 'daft punk' shouldn't be included on t61. i disagree. i think the site benefits from being able to draw upon 'popular' music as well as music that isn't popular yet.

the 'democracy' factor will (hopefully) prevent 'harder faster better stronger' from being played nonstop, otoh, i sure don't mind hearing it every now and then. just as i wouldn't mind hearing bonjovi on april fools day, or a segment from 'war of the worlds' on halloween.

we should start a movement to get bars/restaurants/coffee houses/clubs worldwide to tune their sound systems to t61, that would be awesome. if there was one thing that could save starbucks, t'would be the mighty 61, methinks.

i don't know how the typical day goes for james and sam, but i imagine that there are empty mountain dew cans everywhere, screens glowing, a 'nip into the office' (if there even is an office) means 12 hours gone.

if they were to allow us into their deliberations on algorithms they wouldn't ever get anything done. someday hopefully there will be a vp of communications. still tho, this is their baby, their code/design, they do have a right, or even perhaps a responsibility to keep parts of it proprietary.

lastly, i suggest that artists think of t61 in the 'now'. for example, right now, 2,702 people are listening to 'hot'. get your song on the front page, it's going to get thousands of listens. at your upload limit? aren't those 2,702 listeners worth deleting a track or two? plus, the bumps go back to the listeners, giving them more action.

reply »

FlashG
level 13
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 1:58 p.m.
Question for you artists: Have any of you earned any points since the rejig?

reply »

FlashG
level 13
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 1:59 p.m.
oh...and lots of artists are now way beyond their limits and would have to delete 4 songs to put one up

reply »

Glenn Case
level 20
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:01 p.m.
I have refrained from deleting songs to make room for new ones that might do better, because I have been told that it is largely frowned upon, but HBA actually made a couple of magnificent points to me on the subject recently.

"listeners are (primarily) here to find new music. the old growth must be trimmed so that the new can flourish. i've chosen to delete a weaker track in order to post something new, i consider this a natural and necessary part of keeping thesixtyone fresh."

"one might consider oneself to be better off without listeners who threaten to withhold their bumps."

If you find that one of my songs has been deleted, and you want to hear it? You can still grab it for free at the download area of my website.

Having said that? I'm off to make room for a new song.

ROCK!

Glenn Case

reply »

FlashG
level 13
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:02 p.m.
or maybe 5 if deleting 4 puts them down a level

reply »

FlashG
level 13
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:06 p.m.
Glenn's got 21 on, so i guess he's now off to delete 9 songs so he can put one up...f that doesnt put him down a level or 2

reply »

Glenn Case
level 20
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:06 p.m.
I'm probably going to need to delete 8 or 9, but it's what I've got to do if I want to be able to contribute anything new here.

ROCK!

Glenn Case

reply »

Sky Flying By
level 25
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:09 p.m.
@hba: everything you said is, by my estimation, dead on.

i mean, lets do the math here... using myself as an example... i have 38 listeners. that would be unheard of, for a total unknown, nobody artist like myself to ever achieve outside a system like t61.

so i just keep that in mind when ruminating over policy changes.

reply »

Sky Flying By
level 25
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:11 p.m.
"Question for you artists: Have any of you earned any points since the rejig?"

no. i've gotten a few bumps i think, but haven't earned any points. but i'm so low level i don't think that is a representative sample.

reply »

FlashG
level 13
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:11 p.m.
Those 9 songs would all be new songs to the listeners signing up for a new account right now. They'll never hear them on this site now. I'm glad he's linking to elsewhere

reply »

Glenn Case
level 20
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:13 p.m.
I do think points are currently frozen, by the way.

A prime example is State Shirt. He's a veteran Songfighter that joined thesixtyone after the normalization. I was excited to see that he had joined, because he is awesome.

Here are his stats right now:

3 songs uploaded.
Back to the Airplanes = 56 bumps
Straw Man = 31 bumps
It is a Shame That My Binoculars Don't Work at Night = 62 bumps
Listeners = 18

Points = 0

ROCK!

Glenn Case

reply »

Glenn Case
level 20
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:26 p.m.
Wow, and now it's going to cost 85 points for someone to first bump my new song? I am so screwed.

ROCK!

Glenn Case

reply »

so long, and thanks for all the bumps
level 30
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:35 p.m.
flashg: our point total has been unchanged since the mods.

and, yes, having to kill 4 or 5, or even just 3 songs, much less 9 would definitely be almost too painful to contemplate. i don't have a solution for this.

but to glenn, i imagine, it is much more empowering to acquire a new set of listeners today, with his newest songs, listeners who might surf over to his site right now and listen to the 9 deleted songs. in a few months he might decide to re-post an old winner to put it in front of yet another new audience.

todash: doesn't a limit on the total number of tracks an artist can post lead to higher quality postings? this way the artist themselves act as the primary filter.

reply »

FlashG
level 13
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:39 p.m.
Somebody' reading...points unfroze....congrats on level 19....again, hba

reply »

Glenn Case
level 20
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:43 p.m.
HBA: Painful is exactly the description I had in mind. That sucked! Nine songs and a couple of levels lost within a matter of seconds.

But you're also right about the feeling of liberation. I still admit to being a little nervous about the inevitable wrath of those who have been insisting that artists shouldn't delete songs on here, but it feels nice to finally be able to put up something new.

ROCK!

Glenn Case

reply »

Distilled1Rush
level 27
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:52 p.m.
well points must be going out my sub box just filled with leveling up artist..

"doesn't a limit on the total number of tracks an artist can post lead to higher quality postings? this way the artist themselves act as the primary filter."

it can and should, but thats not always the case. and what is Quality to one ear may be garbage to another...

my bands account did well and now? I have no clue just today wrote points and bumps down to see what happens in a day or twos time. but I don't think I lost any points or levels, I didn't pay attention to it we have been on the web since MP3.coms Glory days (when it was indie) and I have found charts and leader boards are not really that reliable and will always be gamed.

as a listener I use the rack to find new and old, as well as follow bumps I see or adds in my little subscribe box thing. only have noticed that has slowed some.

T61 is a great site love the "game" as a listener and love the fact people seem to really enjoy the Bands music.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:52 p.m.
For clarification's sake, the majority (>50%) of artists on thesixtyone actually BENEFITED from the new system.

reply »

iWex
level 40
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 2:57 p.m.
Glenn Case - deleted songs, knocked some points off my account. But I'm thrilled. New music. That's why I'm here.

Since James and Sam are king tweakers (of the site) -- why not let listeners keep the points when an artist deletes songs? We aren't involved in the deletion process. We won't accumulate new points, but it won't pull points either.

Unless the points don't disappear and I'm confused. Always a possibility.

reply »

todash
level 39
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 20 mar 08 3:28 p.m.
@HBA

I kind of like the idea of Artists putting up experimental work that they may not be completely sure about. I am just as happy to have a music adventure with individual artists as I am with the entire community of artists.

I think that not having song post limits would free up Artists a little bit. I guess you could run into people spamming the site with sound but I'm sure that there would be ways to avoid spamming that do not punish legit artists.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading