◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung
Topic:

Leaderboard adjustments [locked]

Temple Scene
level 31
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 21 mar 08 11:27 a.m.
The upload rate cap would make sense for both artists and listeners. For the artists, because uploading many songs at once makes it harder for them to hit the front page (as we unfortunately discovered quite late on!) and for the listeners because it makes for a more diverse and interesting listening experience.

So plus one for that idea :)

reply »

willie
level 17
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 21 mar 08 12:58 p.m.
Add me to the upload rate cap vote.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 21 mar 08 1:10 p.m.
Hey Levi, I must admit I'm a bit shocked at the perceived attitude in your comments towards me (being one of your earliest bumpers). I'm sorry if my comment wasn't everything that you wanted to hear, but you have to understand that Sam and I work around the clock -- put our lives on hold -- so we can work on improving a site that helps connect emerging artists with listeners. thesixtyone is constantly evolving and is way more than a full-time job for both Sam and I, and it's not easy to make this place available with the best intentions only to be berated by people you've never met in real life.

Thanks for understanding.

reply »

eatabagel
level 21
Re: re: beaderloard admustjents | 21 mar 08 1:17 p.m.
James - Just tell us that we are not a Board Member and we don't get to make decisions ;)I know that I get apprehensive about this stuff but I keep coming back because I know that you and Sam have nothing but the best in mind for the artists and listeners alike. You don't owe anybody anything until you start charging artists to upload music and listeners to pay for the service. (That is not a backhanded comment if it seems that way.)

reply »

daha
level 38
Maybe songs should scroll entirely off | 21 mar 08 1:26 p.m.
I'm only a listener, not an artist, so I don't have all that much of a stake in how the artists get their points, but...

It seems to me that the main reason the artists want to earn points is to advance levels, and the main reason they want to advance levels is to earn upload slots. They want a chance to bring their newest music to the public ear. Fair enough. As a listener I want to hear new music too.

Do I understand rightly that once an artist uses an upload slot it can't be re-used by deleting the old song and uploading a new one? Why not put an expiration date on songs? After 10 weeks or 15 weeks or whatever, an upload expires, and the artist can upload a new song to that slot. Set it up so nobody loses points from song expiration.

This way an artist at a low level will still have a chance to submit new music every so often, and the music library will turn over so there is always fresh music in the racks and on the charts. (Put in an exception so that a song doesn't get bumped off while it is still earning lots of bumps and listens.)

reply »

Levi Weaver
level 25
Re: Maybe songs should scroll entirely off | 21 mar 08 3:04 p.m.
i do understand that, and given a few days for the shock to wear off, and the mercury to lower a little, i apologize for being a little insensitive to the fact that you guys are working hard. i do appreciate that; we're all in the same business, more or less, and i know that sometimes i have to do things that fans don't like. (the new version of "which drink?" has been slated a few times, because people liked the old one the way it was.)

so i apologize for allowing the feling of the anonymity of the internet to allow me to be more heated on line than i would have been in person.

i'm still not thrilled about the decisions, and i still maintain my position of disagreement about the change, especially the way it was implemented, but you're right. it's no excuse for me to be a jerk about it, so - i apologize for that.

in the meantime, i think there are some pretty great suggestions happening right now about upload-limit ideas. I hope you guys are listening. I think this is a great site, I was really excited about it when i started, and I still think it has a lot of very cool elements; i'd just like to know what's going on and not feel like at any point the rug could easily be jerked out from me here with little to no advance warning. that part really did suck.

-Levi

reply »

CheGriffin
level 17
Re: Maybe songs should scroll entirely off | 21 mar 08 5:16 p.m.
Levi, did you get to see my post earlier?

you're ahead of iron & wine. iron & freakin' wine.

getting all these new listeners who would have otherwise spent their lives not knowing about you (in less than 2 months) and lining up side-by-side with such an awesome artist...i'd call that a win. =)

reply »

CheGriffin
level 17
Re: Maybe songs should scroll entirely off | 21 mar 08 5:16 p.m.
Oops, meant to say "right behind." But you get the idea. =p

reply »

eatabagel
level 21
Re: Maybe songs should scroll entirely off | 21 mar 08 6:26 p.m.
Wasnt Che a revolutionary? He looks like a lamb now.

reply »

eatabagel
level 21
Re: Maybe songs should scroll entirely off | 21 mar 08 6:30 p.m.
I totally messed that up. I meant sheep, sheep damnit. I also forgot the smiley face ( ;) ) for those of you that might think I was serious.

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: Maybe songs should scroll entirely off | 21 mar 08 6:53 p.m.
I guess you're feeling pretty lambish -er- sheepish now?

reply »

mikegreen
level 26
@ James & Sam | 21 mar 08 7:31 p.m.
I'm glad this is cooling down again now and we're getting used to it.... and I feel for you guys who are having to run this glorious creation on a shoestring, and have to not only do the code that makes the whole thing tick, but run the business, and try and manage the interface with the people, both artists and listeners who want to make this get bigger and better. And the heat and passion you've seen here has gotta be a strength - it reflects how important this site has become to people's musical lives as listeners and artists, and shows you a committed user base who want to be involved....

So how can we help with any future changes? Can we contribute to a discussion forum before a change is implemented to help you get a sense of what people think first, and give our views to make future changes less of an argument, and help them be better understood. Maybe that would give you guys less work - you launch an informed debate, take a sounding of users - and then you make a business decision as to what to do that seeks to give the greatest happiness to the greatest number - including your business plan?

reply »

Levi Weaver
level 25
Re: @ James & Sam | 22 mar 08 12:52 a.m.
i do understand i'm just under iron and wine.

but i doubt sam beam has ever taken ten minutes to put any effort into this site.

*AND* 4 days ago, I was beating Iron and Wine. Soundly.

...and maybe that's the point of the re-adjustment?

reply »

sogeshirts
level 12
Re: @ James & Sam | 22 mar 08 2:47 p.m.
I haven't cooled down. In fact I feel these changes were unnecessary and made the site a lot worse. The artists who dropped multiple levels are screwed because they can't upload new content until they gain back their levels. Sure they can delete songs but how does that help.

Also the changes have greatly affected listeners. I am not getting half the number of early bump points than I used to. Soon to move up levels i'll have to bump songs that I think others will find popular instead of bumping songs that I actually like. I am not the only listener who feels like this was a bad move.

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: @ James & Sam | 22 mar 08 3:52 p.m.
@sogeshirts

I think if you read around this forum - looking at james' responses in the feature request threads - you'll see that the problem on the artist end looks to have a solution coming sooner or later. Be patient.

As far as listener points is concerned, Meh. I'm much more worried that JaneNewbie can get from level 2 to 6 than anyone getting from 9 to 10, or 18 to 19. If the bump accounting has still allows progress through the lower levels, then I think it's just fine. No doubt there's still a 'formula' for gaining big points in higher levels - it's just been changed. if I were sam and james, I'd be sorely tempted to regularly rejigger the formula for high ranked listeners anyway, simply to keep pure gamers from having too much effect on what music gets posted.

reply »

Apocalypse
level 36
Broken | 22 mar 08 6:43 p.m.
Wow! I just read over 7 pages of comments. My 2 cents:
1. Sam and James, thank you for the site. The passion of the people on this site (listeners and Artists) is testimony to the power of the site

2. I've said it before, I will say it again - What was broken that needed fixin' (adjustin').

I have been on the site for a while now and love the concept. I just keep finding myself getting discouraged with each limitation and/or new 'feature' put on the site. The nirvana of this site, initially, was it's pure, democratic nature.

-Apoc

reply »

timyjl
level 40
Re: Broken | 22 mar 08 9:37 p.m.
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."

-Sir Winston Churchill

reply »

mikegreen
level 26
Listener points...... | 23 mar 08 1:09 a.m.
Yeah - although I'm not bothered about points really, as long as I have enough to bump the stuff I like, I've noticed a big drop in points allocations. Almost none of the top 20 listeners seem to have gained points at all in the last coupla days... which has to be unusual. Has the listener activity level dropped through the floor, or has the algorithm been tilted away from the top of the leaderboard?

And to be honest it's never been that hard to get through the lower levels - they're spaced fairly close together. But I do think that providing there's a real chance for anyone to start and become a top player there should be equality between all players in terms of points rewards. And it is possible - several players now in the top 20 weren't in sight just a few weeks ago.

reply »

sogeshirts
level 12
Re: Listener points...... | 23 mar 08 1:14 p.m.
Hi Iyzie I respect your opinion and thats great that the site is going to make some adjustments for the artists. Your upload cap idea seems very solid. As for the listener dilemna I'm still upset because I bump solid songs early and am losing points. I don't care if I ever make the top listeners but if I never get any points for early bumps then I can't support the songs I like. I can't have any extra points to use for reviving a song that I thought deserved a second chance.

To move up I would have to just start bumping songs that I know will do well even if I don't necessarily like the song. I don't think the intent of this site was to just bump stuff the herd likes but if the point system continues this way thats what is going to turn into. All that does is screw over unknown or little known artists who may have great stuff that no one will first bump. The site was better two weeks ago before changes were implemented and I stand by that.

reply »

iWex
level 40
Re: Listener points...... | 23 mar 08 7:11 p.m.
sogeshirts - I agree with you on the fact that with the new system I think twice, or three times before bumping music I like, but I know won't go mass. I have plenty of points - for now. I'm down 2K today alone -- because I've decided to keep bumping music I like early... But that pace isn't sustainable -- and it will negatively effect my activity on the site...

I already bump some songs that go mass, but knowing that I will use those points for music that I think is undervalued by the community. That practice will just get more exaggerated if the system stays as it is...

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading