◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans
Topic:

Leaderboard adjustments [locked]

wdeutsch
level 36
Re: Listener points...... | 24 mar 08 1:05 p.m.
Is anyone earning points anymore?

My points are coming in so slowly I'm down over 600 points in a week. Unless some thing changes the only way I'm going to get a net gain in points is to start gaming by bumping only popular songs really really early as the new point math seems to make it pointless to bump a song with more then ~70 points.

reply »

arpkane
level 17
Re: Listener points...... | 24 mar 08 2:26 p.m.
I've gotten about 15 points this entire week.

reply »

myktoronto
level 38
Re: Listener points...... | 24 mar 08 6:37 p.m.
There's a new topic "New Listener Point System" in the Feature Requests section of the forums. This is a pretty hot topic indeed!

reply »

ZUBA
level 15
Vive le chocolat! | 25 mar 08 10:40 a.m.
Happy Easter everybody,
Apparently chocolate is good for temper!
Feels reaaaaally good to spend 3 days in the countryside faaaaar away from any PC!!!
Good to see that this topic was quite productive in the meantime, that the blood pressure went back to normal and that we got all the answers we begged for! =D
Nice to see we're able to upload songs again though, just have to guess how many and until when ;)))))))))
"Cheekiness is much wiser than unnecessary animosity" Holly Bumper

reply »

Alyse Black
level 17
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 01 apr 08 10:06 p.m.
After putting up so many songs that I didn't offer anywhere else on the net, spending tons of time commenting and putting time into this site (more than any other site at the time), and then losing 1600+ points, I have lost my gusto for theSixtyOne. If you want to talk with me now, you can find me at my MySpace page and several other sites around the net. I am no longer responding to this one.

Tons of love, luck, and all things good to the listeners and other artists,
Alyse

MySpace.com/AlyseBlack
iLike.com/artist/Alyse+Black
AlyseBlack.com

reply »

CheGriffin
level 17
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 01 apr 08 10:35 p.m.
Hmm, that's just unfortunate because you joined not too long ago and literally got 250+ real fans who aren't friends/family and/or your existing listener base. This site is also very young (less than 3 months in the wild). I'd emphasize patience.

reply »

mikegreen
level 26
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 2:39 a.m.
Yeah - I'm disappointed too, but didn't people warn this would happen? We can all be patient, because we're all just playing while we work, and there's nothing really on the line for us. Whatever happens with T61, Che, are livelihoods ain't affected.

I guess when you're an artist and you don't have the big publicity machine to do all this kind of stuff for you, you have to use your limited time to go for the sure bets. And you know where you are with Myspace. A site which keeps making changes that its users are unhappy about, and doesn't respond to their concerns is going to seem less like a sure bet.

reply »

AnnieB
level 43
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 2:47 a.m.
darn, i just sent alyse a tunebox too! i guess i'll have to forward the message elsewhere.

reply »

SallySilvera
level 39
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 4 a.m.
That is very sad indeed.
Mike, you say it well. While listeners can moan and groan about changes while riding the tide, the situation for artists is obviously very different. I sincerely hope we don't lose more gems like Alyse.

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 6:29 a.m.
With respect, and understanding that I'm not actually going to reach Alyse with this if she's left, I think it's a mistake for an artist to depart over a point/level recalculation. It is clear you have gained new listeners and fans though posting your music here and interacting with the listeners on this site.

The question is, do you want points and ranking to reflect actual relative popularity or not? If the numbers are artificially high or low because some aspect of the listener environment is misrepresented, do you want to hang on to that incorrectly high or low ranking?

You have to go on the assumption that sam and james have no desire to artificially inflate or deflate rankings, but rather a desire to find a real balance between numbers of ears and "quantity of love per listener" for an artist - reflected by multibumps, music adds and all the various "metadata" that has been alluded to in a couple posts from them.

I am perfectly happy to call S&J; on the carpet for their lack of communication, and I think Alyse's departure could have been avoided if they had been more forthcoming. However, I don't think the departure serves Alyse, or her new listeners either.

reply »

Apocalypse
level 36
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 6:32 a.m.
Alyse - that is very unfortunate. We share your disappointment and just hope that S&J; take a hard look at how this site is evolving and decide to take it back to its roots again soon. Artists who invest so much time and effort into becoming part of a community, should be rewarded for their efforts and obviously, you feel that it's not worth the personal time and effort any more.

I must admit, I share some of your thoughts. I haven't spent nearly as much time on this site as I used to and find myself spending less and less every day.

Good luck, Alyse, and we will see you on MySpace.

-Apoc

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 6:35 a.m.
I got modded! Web2.0 FTW!!

Well, it is sad to see you forced to leave, Alyse.

reply »

willie
level 17
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 11:09 a.m.
iyzie as usual is exactly right. I'm guessing, but I imagine the lack of communication is the bigger issue than the points. Shame.

reply »

grandesoreilles
level 30
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 4:02 p.m.
And as usual, Willie is so right as well...

I think we could put it coldly in equation stylee:
Points > addiction > A LOT OF TIME SPENT because you have fun :)))))))))))
Big loss of points > WTF????????? > must be a mistake > no answer :(((((((((( > je pisse dans un violon? > big loss of fun > GTF!!!!!!

Will you please perdon my french ;)

the only reason Zuba are still around is because they are Guinness drinkers and they know good things come to those who wait... but you can't wait always... nor for too long anyway!

It's a shame to see you leaving Alyse, we'll miss your "farm singing" =D and your good mood... hopefully for t61, not too many artists will follow you, quite tempting I must admit... maybe the metadata will show it has a heart after all... we'll go and beg you to come back on myspace if anything good happens!!!

I hope this msg was not too subversive and will be allowed to stay up :/

reply »

sogeshirts
level 12
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 9:34 p.m.
Metadata and heart go together like robots and hearts. Sadly I see more artists leaving as what made this site great has been taken away and replaced with cold dead statistics and metadata. Listeners only get points by not bumping instead of the old system which rewarded bumping. Artists are frustrated and every once in a while a groundhog will pop out of its cave to communicate the changes in one or two jargon filled sentences.

reply »

CheGriffin
level 17
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 9:41 p.m.
Um, no. Sogeshirts, none of what you just said is factually true. "Metadata" is based off what actually happens on the site, which I would imagine is used by humans and not machines. Bumping still does what it does, but the penalty is more challenging for being careless with your points.

reply »

Apocalypse
level 36
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 10:10 p.m.
@ CheGriffin
Honestly, I am not sure whether or not you are the legal defense team behind which S&J; hide. I am not sure you have shown even ONCE in a post that you even see merit in the turmoil that Artists and Listeners feel with the changes on the site. There is only so much ass a Listener can kiss at a time and only so much condescension one can dish out as easily as you do.

-Apoc

reply »

CheGriffin
level 17
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 10:16 p.m.
Dude, just because I happen to have a different opinion on the matter doesn't warrant sarcastic name-calling. I joined this site during its PRIVATE beta (around AnnieB's time) and have seen a lot change over that period. I've also seen how many of the changes, given time, have worked to make this place better. Call it a different view, but don't forget your manners.

reply »

sogeshirts
level 12
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 10:46 p.m.
Careless with my points? Isn't the point of this place to bump songs that you actually like or has it become that I must tread lightly and only bump the tried and true. All hail metadata, bump everything that everyone knows will hit the home page and forsake everything else. No new artists thrive but metadata reigns supreme.

Che If you don't see a problem with artists leaving the site and top level listeners racing to zero just to make the site fun again then cool that is your opinion. I have mine though and I think the site was way better a month ago before Sam and James tried to fix what wasn't broke. Now their is a hole in the dam and artists like alyse black are packing up and moving to higher ground.

reply »

CheGriffin
level 17
Re: Leaderboard adjustments | 02 apr 08 10:56 p.m.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say "careless" as a way to criticize or point fingers. What I meant to say is that I think part of the fun comes from having to make decisions (risking points in the balance) and getting rewarded when your decisions prove to be a successful. I think a "failure" (though nobody is really "failing" by bumping what they like) state is absolutely critical for gameplay to be fun and meaningful.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading