◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung
Topic:

Bump cost changes. [locked]

sam
level 38
Bump cost changes. | 13 dec 07 4:03 a.m.
Some of you may have noticed that songs that have between 1 and 39 points are more expensive to bump.

This was to accommodate for the new way in which songs are published (see James' post also in this announcements board).

While the cost to bump has increased, the rewards have also increased. The same principles for bumping apply: The earlier you bump a track and the more you pay for the bump, the bigger the reward you'll see if the song ever takes off.

As we continue to make adjustments to how much bumps cost, you don't have to worry about whether the rewards will match how much you've paid for bumps under previous rules. The reward calculations will always take into account how much you've paid for each bump at the time each bump was made.

reply »

hodj
level 14
Re: Bump cost changes. | 13 dec 07 8:06 a.m.
Hey sam. The system needs to upgrade the hover.over buttons to accurately reflect these new points… It says one thing but then lists (and costs) another when you opt to bump it.

reply »

spoof
level 12
Re: Bump cost changes. | 13 dec 07 8:19 a.m.
Refresh your page, and the new values should show properly.

reply »

hodj
level 14
Re: Bump cost changes. | 13 dec 07 8:26 a.m.
Just call me stupid… thanks, spoof, that worked perfectly.

reply »

ianki
level 30
Re: Bump cost changes. | 13 dec 07 10:13 a.m.
I wonder if this will cause an ever inflating point system. As the site becomes more popular, songs need to cost more. As songs costs more, more points need to be given to new users and more points need to be given as a reward. In a month, songs will cost a thousand points to discover, but don't worry you'll get 3 thousand by the time it reaches the front page ;-)

reply »

carynmoss
level 14
Re: Bump cost changes. | 13 dec 07 12:27 p.m.
does bumping a song take points away that I need to get to the next level or are those completely different point?

reply »

hodj
level 14
Re: Bump cost changes. | 13 dec 07 12:31 p.m.
They take 'em away. You need points in hand to reach levels, but you need to spend points to make more points… ah, the vicious circle.

reply »

carynmoss
level 14
Re: Bump cost changes. | 13 dec 07 1:32 p.m.
well can anyone tell me how many I need to reach level 5? then maybe 6?

reply »

tedrock
level 31
Re: Bump cost changes. | 13 dec 07 5:51 p.m.
Doesn't this change favor those folks who already have plenty of capital to spend on the site? I count myself as a lucky user who got in and made some lucky choices early on and benefited from 'cheap' bumps. Sliding scale for new users? (cheaper bumps until you reach level 2)

Love the site - keep it coming!

reply »

karina
level 17
Re: Bump cost changes. | 13 dec 07 6:05 p.m.
yeah, we gotta up the points you gain per daily login as well as rack points...

reply »

Temple Scene
level 31
Re: Bump cost changes. | 14 dec 07 12:40 a.m.
Should it also be more expensive to bump famous/established acts? Because otherwise, people could pounce on new famous tracks that are added because they know it will get them points, rather than because they like it (if I understand how the system works).

reply »

TheRequiem
level 29
Re: Bump cost changes. | 14 dec 07 3:47 a.m.
While I completely understand where you're coming from Temple, how could that be implemented in fair way?

Who decides what we measure fame by, and how famous is too famous?

Hopefully the big acts don't dominate the front pages, but I have to trust the users to make those decisions. I wouldn't worry too much. Sure stuff like CSS and Iron and Wine garnered a heavy load of points, but they were only near the top for a day or two, and now we have other stuff. I think the "hot" algorithm Sam and James have built for us will take care of things quite nicely.

reply »

aesop
level 15
Re: Bump cost changes. | 14 dec 07 8:44 a.m.
Maybe if an artist consistently gets really fast 'hot' ratings the algorithm could make it a little harder the next time?

Of course this takes some of the edge off artists who are getting good results just because their great music is breaking through so much- but if 'famous' bands had that particular statistical signature it could be a cue for the algorithm to moderate. (But, as I say, at a cost to the dynamics of breakthrough stuff.)

As TheRequiem points out, the presence of famous stuff hasn't (so far) stopped the new good stuff doing well. But as more established artists get involved, though, will this remain the case?

reply »

hawkeyejoes
level 24
Re: Bump cost changes. | 14 dec 07 9:01 a.m.
If more well-established artists move in. Licensing restrictions placed on songs controlled by major labels will keep most from being able to join a site with some of the features this site has (play-on-demand, unlimited skips), but personally, I see that as a good thing. It should protect the new artist discovery model that has been setup here.

And maybe, just maybe, lead the revolution of the self-published artist.

reply »

golux13
level 25
Re: Bump cost changes. | 14 dec 07 9:46 a.m.
As a side note, is it right that I only got +1 point when somebody bumped my discovery? Is there a curve, such that the point rewards start low, increase and then taper off again?

reply »

carynmoss
level 14
Re: Bump cost changes. | 16 dec 07 11:47 a.m.
Hey Sam
I'm still looking for a list of what rewards the points actually get us. is there one?

reply »

zoundsPadang
level 11
Re: Bump cost changes. | 16 dec 07 2:30 p.m.
faq (not survey) says:

What level unlocks are currently available?
For now, just raises to the multi-bumping cap for each song, but stay tuned!

reply »

cmass
level 11
Re: Bump cost changes. | 16 dec 07 3:16 p.m.
I had the same sort of thinking about signed artists being more costly to bump than unsigned artists, but it's all pretty relative and difficult to implement.

That, and largely the songs being posted aren't from the artists themselves at any rate.

Also fame is pretty relative. For this community see Iron and Wine vs. Rihanna? :)

The short answer I guess is to bump appropriately so you can swing your points around to get your favourite indie artists noticed over the top40 ones.

reply »

carynmoss
level 14
Re: Bump cost changes. | 17 dec 07 11:24 p.m.
I've been on here for days now & still don't understand the reward system.
I look at my stats & see the same songs I've bumped on different pages, but the exact songs have different totals. can anyone please explain?

& here is one of my bumps can someone also explain what each of these numbers represent.
I know 0 points is just 0 points & the X4 means I bumped it 4 times but the rest, help me with K?.

Free Love
Derek James +0 points (11 15 bumps, x4 )

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Bump cost changes. | 18 dec 07 12:25 a.m.
Hi Caryn, I think you'd have an easier time having your questions answered by writing to support@thesixtyone.com. Let's try to keep this specific discussion centered around "bump costs changes." Thanks.

As to everyone else, Sam and I have been actively planning a new approach to bump costs that would address some of the key points brought up here.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading