◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans
Topic:

Bump cost changes. [locked]

AnnieB
level 43
Re: Bump cost changes. | 20 dec 07 9:40 a.m.
i think the faq page should be edited to address all the recent changes.

reply »

hodj
level 14
Re: Bump cost changes. | 21 dec 07 8:16 a.m.
Since I can't post a separate announcement, here are some changes I've noted on Discovery:
(1) You can only Discover one song per every three hours (this was implemented several days back).
(2) Only one Discovery per every 20 tracks bumped, as opposed to the original 10 tracks bumped (this appears to have started yesterday).

reply »

hodj
level 14
Re: Bump cost changes. | 21 dec 07 8:21 a.m.
And I just double-checked: Multi-bumping DOES count towards your 20 tracks bumped, regarding Discovery ability.

reply »

AnnieB
level 43
Re: Bump cost changes. | 04 jan 08 10:34 a.m.
just curious, did songs by higher-leveled artists get upped to costing 6 points past 50 bumps?

reply »

lankysob
level 41
Re: Bump cost changes. | 04 jan 08 11:38 a.m.
I just noticed the same thing on a couple Gazillion songs. Discoveries for them cost something like 67 points now, too I think.

reply »

JoeyTee
level 27
Re: Bump cost changes. | 04 jan 08 1:31 p.m.
I agree with mikegreen

The users on this site need to watch what they bump. If the users make a decision to bump only the songs that they like and are "lesser known" than there is no need to do too much policing.

Eventually this site will form a tight-knit group of bumpers who can regulate what becomes popular.

For example, I love Buckethead's songs, but I have a problem bumping them because...well... buckethead is famous.

I will continue to think this way...might be just me.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Bump cost changes. | 04 jan 08 5:50 p.m.
you'd be surprised to learn that "fame" is highly subjective. a lot of listeners claimed they already heard of CSS 2 years ago, but 99% of america still hasn't.

reply »

JoeyTee
level 27
Re: Bump cost changes. | 04 jan 08 7:36 p.m.
That's true. Fame depends on how savy the listener is.

This is why the only way this fame thing can really be regulated is by the users themselves. James and Sam can make discoveries a little bit more expensive, but in the end it will depend on the democracy at work like mikegreen pointed out.

You can always take more drastic action if things get out of hand. I don't think you'll get U2 putting up songs or anything...but I did see a Radiohead song (probably not up with permission).

In conclusion, in my opinion, regulating this will be predominately in the hand of the listeners.

reply »

The Host
level 21
Re: Bump cost changes. | 06 jan 08 12:52 a.m.
I haven't noticed the problem with "signed" bands making it farther than others... So what's the fuss?

MIA's song is just good... isn't that what this is all about? Good music?

Usually signed bands are good right? So they should have their music on the hot list I would think. If their songs sucks then screw them and their song.

I feel as if there are a lot of tweaks that need to be considered way before the topic of signed bands.

TimK
The Host

reply »

JoeyTee
level 27
Re: Bump cost changes. | 06 jan 08 10:19 a.m.
Yeah... I see what you are saying.

Looking back at what I said, I was pretty ridiculous. If you really like what you hear, it shouldn't matter who put it up on the site.

I was just really hesitant about all of the smaller bands getting drowned out by the already proven bands like Radiohead.

reply »

mrshake
level 22
Re: Bump cost changes. | 06 jan 08 10:35 a.m.
Right on, JoeyTee.

I do want you to know that I wasn't talking directly to you or calling you out or anything, I hope it didn't seem like I was attacking you verbally. I was simply responding to the whole forum thread in general, it just happened to be right after your post.

I would also like to add that as an unsigned artist I like the idea that I get to compete with everyone—even "famous" artists—equally, it gives us a real idea of how we stack up in the real world. So I say bring on the signed bands, it will only push us unknowns to make better tunes.

TimK
The Host

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Bump cost changes. | 07 jan 08 1:32 p.m.
I think changing the cost of bumping based on the level of the artist is a great idea that addresses this issue (if it is one). Good idea. :)

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 4:51 a.m.
There was definitely a change to the bump costs overnight.
Takes significantly longer to get down to 5 points per bump.

reply »

AnnieB
level 43
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 6:54 a.m.
yup, now i wish i had gone back to all my underrated songs and maxed out. guess it'll take longer for some songs than i anticipated. oh well. the times they are a changin'

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 7:26 a.m.
Possible ideas could be make it a bit more expensive to plop that 10th bump than the 4th bump by an individual listener. (Diminishing the incentive to drop 10 quick bumps on a hot item). This could, however, be seen as disincentive to bump for new users and the A&R; type.

Alternatively, make the RETURN on the 10th bump be less valuable than the return on the 5th bump by a listener. (If I hit 10 quick bumps on a Band of Horses track, costing me 5 pts each, then it might take longer for an individuals 10th bump to return 1 point than the 9th or 8th or 4th bump on that track). This would be a bit of disincentive for the point-gamers.

dunno, otherwise.
love the site

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 7:47 a.m.
The real big problem is that since all anyone seems to do is look at the new, hot & browse pages, an artist can get bumped to level 5 or 6 on the strength of one song (Rockfour) and since no one goes to the artist pages, most of the other tracks are still expensive to bump (it costs 25 to bump a song at 60 bumps). So it takes a co-ordinated effort between higher level users to actually raise a song up (but at that point it immediate receives hundreds of bumps).
It's making enjoying music a lot of work :)

reply »

mrshake
level 22
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 8:17 a.m.
Its funny all this talk about types (A&R;, Listener, Artist)... since this site is basically a musical RPG, why not have classes kind of like WoW has them. And let each class have different abilities to affect stats in different ways.

Might be neat!

There could be:
-A&R;
-Music Lover (Just Listening)
-Rookie
-Artist
-Fan
-etc...

reply »

lankysob
level 41
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 8:28 a.m.
A lot of work, indeed. I, for one, have kind of adopted the M.O. that if I like a single song, to at least check out the rest of that artist's music as well. I've found a lot more good music than what shows up on the Browse/New page anymore that way. Of course, I end up spending more points on the rest of that artist's music, but that's the point here really...helping the artist moreso than just helping one single song. =)

So, I agree with you, ImOnlySleeping...awareness of good music can go beyond listening to (and bumping) that single song that's popular at the moment. Plus, if you find you actually do like more than that one popular track, you're putting yourself on the road to potentially buying their album and helping the artist out even more.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 8:37 a.m.
-A&R;
-Music Lover (Just Listening)
-Rookie
-Artist
-Fan
-etc...

mrshake, that is intriguing!

reply »

lankysob
level 41
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 9:01 a.m.
Indeed it is. It would increase the fun, game side of this site while still keeping the focus, rightfully so, on the music. I like it.

But I can hear James and Sam groaning at the thought of increasing the complexity of the ever-evolving points/bumping system. :)

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading