◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung
Topic:

Bump cost changes. [locked]

redbaron
level 31
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 9:33 a.m.
That's true, but once you get a few thousand points to burn, it becomes less about competing for points and more about discovering great new music. Probably the higher-level users spend a little less time on page one of the browse section, and a little more time combing through the forgotten stuff. Hopefully as more users rack up the points, the emphasis will be less on tracks that were posted three minutes ago and fewer great songs will fall by the wayside...

reply »

redbaron
level 31
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 9:34 a.m.
Hey Shatner, how can I *hurl* lightning bolts?

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 11:48 a.m.
<<< Alternatively, make the RETURN on the 10th bump be less valuable than the return on the 5th bump by a listener. (If I hit 10 quick bumps on a Band of Horses track, costing me 5 pts each, then it might take longer for an individuals 10th bump to return 1 point than the 9th or 8th or 4th bump on that track). This would be a bit of disincentive for the point-gamers. >>>

I think this might already be the case actually. It seems like getting back your points gets non-linearly harder the more you bump a song. I don't know this for sure but anecdotally that seems to be my experience.

reply »

Nouveaux Riche
level 3
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 11:32 p.m.
I think hawkeyejoes made an excellent point earlier on that I completely agree with. The system is backwards. It should be easy to discover and bump newer music on the site and harder to bump older stuff. That would come closer to eliminating gaming* aspect. It would also keep things fresh and make discovery of new music the focus (which IMHO is the only thing giving this site a leg up against sites like last.fm etc. No offense to Sam and James. You've done a great job with the site and I'm sure you'll get all this stuff sorted out)

*by gaming I mean the bumping of songs solely on it's point earning abilities, not the actual "game" aspect of the site.

reply »

Nouveaux Riche
level 3
Re: Bump cost changes. | 08 jan 08 11:37 p.m.
To counter the noob's inability to bump the older and more expensive songs, a songs bump cost should be calculated by the user level and not universal. Basically, scale the bump cost with user levels. Once a user gets up in levels it's like being a level 99 in the first dungeon of an RPG. This is probably the biggest problem with the current bump cost system. You're basically punished for being a noob and once you've leveled up there's really no challenge anymore.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Bump cost changes. | 12 jan 08 4:11 p.m.
Did bump costs change again? I'm trying to bump Golden Boy with Miss Kittin - Rippin Kittin and each bump is costing 31 points though the song is already at 100+ bumps.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Bump cost changes. | 13 jan 08 2:28 p.m.
As we announced yesterday, bump costs are now based on the number of unique bumpers.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Bump cost changes. | 13 jan 08 2:56 p.m.
Yes I know (now). I asked the question just before sam made the announcement.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Bump cost changes. | 13 jan 08 5:40 p.m.
Cool, just wanted to help. :-)

reply »

Suzen JueL Resistance
level 17
Re: Bump cost changes. | 15 mar 08 7:09 a.m.
i'm looking Everywhere for an answer to why one of my original songs "Dirty Sick Perversion' was mysteriously deleted from my list. I had 20 songs and was close to level 15. I then realized a LOT of points had disappeared and i was back at a Flat Level of 14, and Dirty Sick Perversion was gone..I never deleted it. The sad part is...since it was mysteriously deleted i was also Unable to post it again, or post any song and now..i had to be at Level 18 in order to have more than 19 songs. (before it was fine)...I've written to the site about and have heard nothing, I've left comments on the boards, still nothing. I've read a little once, that others have also had songs Mysteriously deleted. And since we're just movin along like we should, why should we lost points when WE did not delete the song (although yes artists Can and do delete their songs to add a newer track) but in this case, I did not delete it...but i lost the points and the option to replace it.
THen, Like some other Artists on here, I created a new artist site, to upload one song...and the whole site got deleted, no explanation...no email, nothing....Not sure what happned here. or if i was in the wrong for making a new artist account. But other artists with multiple account, um..still have their multiple accounts.......this is Curious to me....if anyone knows anything..i'de Love to learn more!

reply »

Suzen JueL Resistance
level 17
Re: Bump cost changes. | 15 mar 08 7:09 a.m.
i'm looking Everywhere for an answer to why one of my original songs "Dirty Sick Perversion' was mysteriously deleted from my list. I had 20 songs and was close to level 15. I then realized a LOT of points had disappeared and i was back at a Flat Level of 14, and Dirty Sick Perversion was gone..I never deleted it. The sad part is...since it was mysteriously deleted i was also Unable to post it again, or post any song and now..i had to be at Level 18 in order to have more than 19 songs. (before it was fine)...I've written to the site about and have heard nothing, I've left comments on the boards, still nothing. I've read a little once, that others have also had songs Mysteriously deleted. And since we're just movin along like we should, why should we lost points when WE did not delete the song (although yes artists Can and do delete their songs to add a newer track) but in this case, I did not delete it...but i lost the points and the option to replace it.
THen, Like some other Artists on here, I created a new artist site, to upload one song...and the whole site got deleted, no explanation...no email, nothing....Not sure what happned here. or if i was in the wrong for making a new artist account. But other artists with multiple account, um..still have their multiple accounts.......this is Curious to me....if anyone knows anything..i'de Love to learn more!

reply »

missmoloko
level 18
Re: Bump cost changes. | 18 mar 08 10:14 a.m.
hello,

i would need an advice, because i've spent nearly all my points and i don't know how to earn them again, thanks for your help!!

reply »

phreakymonkey
level 34
Re: Bump cost changes. | 18 mar 08 8:40 p.m.
Listening to the Rack is a good start.

reply »

Krieger
level 35
Re: Bump cost changes. | 24 mar 08 8:01 a.m.
Listening to the Rack when you have no points is hard work. Least quality of songs, and when you do find that gem you experience only wishing you had the points you're here to get in the first place.

Dont' get me wrong, I love the rack, but as far as recovering from a zero point total is a painful exercise in impotence.

I liked reaching a few levels up so I could specify the difference between a good song I'd like to hear again and a great song I'd love to blast to everybody listening.

reply »

mbjorgen
level 19
Re: Bump cost changes. | 25 mar 08 6:52 p.m.
I don't know that everyone only looks at new, hot, and browse. If I hear a song I like, I go to the artist page, read the bio, and see what else they have.

reply »

daha
level 38
Front page bumps cost more than 5 points now? | 01 jun 08 7:18 p.m.
The FAQ still says "From this point, the cost of a bump decreases until the song is published after which further bumps adhere to a fixed rate of 5 points. Tip: songs that reach the homepage cost 5 points to bump."

Atlanta Moan by Forsythe Whitfield made it to the front page, but bumps still cost 9 points. Does the FAQ need to be revised, or is the bump cost wrong? (Also, I am sometimes seeing the wrong cost when I hover over the bump button - it will show as 11 points to bump this song, then when I click the cost is shown as 9 points. Should be 5 both times.)

reply »

Wolffe
level 31
Re: Front page bumps cost more than 5 points now? | 01 jun 08 9:37 p.m.
The FAQs are outdated in many places. I know they plan to update it, but they've been working on making the site better. It's a pain in the a**, but I think better in the long run

reply »

mandrake
level 14
Re: Front page bumps cost more than 5 points now? | 02 jun 08 6:32 a.m.
My guess would be that bump costs have been adjusted because we have been undergoing point-inflation. As I have been going back and earning my Groupie achievement I've noticed some songs which I "topped-off" at a lower level for 5 points/bump that are now costing 7-10 points/bump. I don't think there is really any reason to be worried about it.

It's like my father who talks about getting a cheeseburger, fries, and a drink for less than a dollar when he was a kid willingly pays 6 or 7 bucks to buy it now. I figured something like this was probably going to happen as the points started flowing more freely.

reply »

TexasMd91
level 12
Re: Bump cost changes. | 04 jun 08 12:24 a.m.
[quote]Hey sam. The system needs to upgrade the hover.over buttons to accurately reflect these new points… It says one thing but then lists (and costs) another when you opt to bump it.[/quote]
That is because it uses AJAX to retrieve the new information, it will be a waste of bandwidth to update it often.

reply »

daha
level 38
Re: Front page bumps cost more than 5 points now? | 14 jun 08 2:38 p.m.
This is still a problem. Latest example - "Are We Still A Couple" by L. Julius hit the home page an hour ago and is #2 on the new list - but a bump costs 23 points! Should be 5 points.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading