◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung

james
level 21
Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 13 dec 07 4:53 a.m.
Sam and I are very grateful for the numerous e-mails and forum posts you've been sending in since we broke into the public consciousness a few days ago. We appreciate both the enthusiastic words of support as well as suggestions for the future.

Moving forward, our first major announcement is related to how songs make it to the homepage of thesixtyone. Let's briefly review the current system: listeners spend points to bump a cool song to 20 bumps, whereupon it gets posted to the "new" music tab for the rest of the world to discover. At this point, with every elapsing minute since it's been posted, the song either begins a slow decline as new songs reach 20 bumps or continues on its journey to the front page of thesixtyone.

The sudden, explosive growth of our listener base combined with the 20 bump threshold has led to a massive burst of songs being posted to the "new" music tab. While it's great to see the enthusiasm of the community at work, this essentially gives newly posted songs a very short window period to get noticed by other listeners before they start slipping down the charts. Even worse, this happens regardless of user activity, so songs that are often posted during lower traffic periods don't get their fair shot at enticing curious listeners.

As a result, effective immediately, we've done away with the 20 bump requirement and have implemented mechanisms that balance bump count and site traffic to ensure a more scalable, fair system for posting music to the homepage.

reply »

hawkeyejoes
level 24
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 13 dec 07 6:59 a.m.
Glad to hear both that people are flooding to the site and that you guys are scaling for it!

But does the 20 bump rule not apply to the Rack now either? Because a song with 53 bumps just came up.

reply »

hodj
level 14
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 13 dec 07 7:40 a.m.
Yeah, I just noticed some high bump count tracks still in The Rack… which I fully agree with. It's a great way for tracks not to fall into the cracks when they hit a certain number of bumps.

reply »

karina
level 17
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 13 dec 07 8:26 a.m.
makes sense. i assume though that the bump costs won't change...

reply »

karina
level 17
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 13 dec 07 8:27 a.m.
oh... just saw the other topic... disregard my last post please.

reply »

TheRequiem
level 29
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 13 dec 07 2:45 p.m.
Cool stuff. So happy to see the site getting the attention is deserves.

You knew it was going to require some tweaking when this happened. ;)

reply »

selectived
level 33
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 14 dec 07 7:40 a.m.
I am one of those "new users." I love the site. I can't find some info in the FAQ though. Two qustions:

1) How do you "discover" a band? Can I add music and promote artists or do the artists themselves have to upload their music

2) What is a "top rookie" and what makes them so special?

reply »

hawkeyejoes
level 24
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 14 dec 07 7:49 a.m.
Discovering a song (songs are discovered, technically, not bands), in the rhetoric of this site, is simply being the first person to bump it.

I am signed up as a listener, but I would imagine that you need to be the artist or at least have the artist's express permission. The sooner this site starts trafficking in stolen copyrighted music, the sooner the RIAA drags it in to the Napster graveyard.

And as far as the Top Rookies go, I believe that all you get is your name on the homepage, and I'm not sure what the requirements are exactly, but I'll be damned if I'm not striving for it!

reply »

selectived
level 33
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 14 dec 07 7:54 a.m.
Thanks! I appreciate it. I kind of wish I could add songs to promote some of my favorite artists who aren't on this site, but I can see how that could be complicated. Oh well.

Oh, and are you an Iowa Hawkeye? I am!

reply »

bigbadbarton
level 29
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 15 dec 07 12:10 p.m.
If there are artists whose songs you really want on the site, the best way is to post on the "suggest an artist" forum so Sam and James can try and get in touch with them or, better yet, send the band information about the site. I know I've started emailing/myspacing/etc some of my favorite musicians who aren't yet on the sixtyone.

reply »

mikegreen
level 26
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 29 dec 07 9:56 a.m.
I've just noticed new tracks coming up on the browse list that have no track name or artist revealed until an hour after posting. Great idea - it means that listeners take tracks on their merits instead of just picking up winners for the points. But, if you click to bump it, it tells you the name of the track, and then leads to the artist. Doesn't this undermine the anonymity - I liked the idea of not knowing what you've bumped until after you bump it....

reply »

gnusinov
level 34
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 29 dec 07 10:29 a.m.
Awesome new feature, guys! Force the listen.

reply »

AnnieB
level 43
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 30 dec 07 8:01 a.m.
Another good thing about the mystery song...is that I found myself bumping songs for artists I didn't really seem to care for in the past (even when they were popular to other listeners). Letting the music speak for itself is definitely a true test.

reply »

Apocalypse
level 36
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 30 dec 07 3:37 p.m.
I really like the new mystery song concept. It helps you really listen to a song and if you are good, you may even be able to detect your favorite artist's song style... like a good Somalier can distinguish between different wines... or in my case, different beers!

Great concept. Nicely executed.

reply »

hodj
level 14
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 30 dec 07 4:09 p.m.
I really like the idea, but I'm slightly frightened by my ability to correctly know the artist of each Mystery Song… I've got about a 90% correct guess rate so far on the Mystery Songs, assuming the artist was on here previously. I got one WAY wrong and was very surprised by who it was, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

reply »

Dv8ted1
level 42
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 30 dec 07 10:45 p.m.
i don't get it. how did Femme Generation - Orlando Bloom (RAC Mix) post 1 hour and 12 minutes after it was discovered? Robbers On High Street - Across Your Knee (RAC Mix) progressed just as fast, was discovered like 1 minute before Orlando Bloom, and yet it's not listed on either the "hot" or "new" pages.

i also discovered Temple Scene - First Day 7 hours ago and it never made it to the new or hot pages. what gives? some kind of quicky algorithm? :P

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 30 dec 07 11 p.m.
pls read the first post.

reply »

Dv8ted1
level 42
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 30 dec 07 11:13 p.m.
yes, i read the first post when it was posted, thank you.

can you tell me exactly how that explains why Femme Generation - Orlando Bloom (RAC Mix) has posted while Robbers On High Street - Across Your Knee (RAC Mix) hasn't? like i said, they progressed just as fast and were posted at nearly the same time. if you don't believe me, just take a look at the browse section.

i mean...it kind of explains Temple Scene - First Day...i think, right?

i don't know, i'm just trying to point out a potential "private beta" bug.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 30 dec 07 11:32 p.m.
in the interest of maximizing artist exposure on the homepage, the system also takes into account whether a song from the same musician was recently posted to the homepage.

reply »

Dv8ted1
level 42
Re: Adjustment To How Music Gets Posted | 30 dec 07 11:38 p.m.
thank you! that makes complete sense.

is there any chance that everyone can get the ability to delete their own posts in the forums, too? :D

you guys are doing an awesome job by the way!

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading