◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung

james
level 21
New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 14 dec 07 7:10 p.m.
You know when you've found that really cool song, only to learn that it's been posted to the homepage for a while now? Sorta sucks because you want to bump it, but know that it's likely to stay put on the 27th page of the all genres, "hot" music tab.

Kiss those days goodbye, because we're proud to announce our newest feature: REVIVE! Songs that have been posted to the homepage for an extended period of time (period subject to change as we scale) will automatically go into "hibernation." The first thing you'll notice is that "revive" will take the place of "bump" buttons on hibernated songs. A "revive" costs a 1,000 points, but allows you to help your favorite song jump back into 1st page relevancy.

It's the ultimate way to express your love for a special artist and flex your muscle on thesixtyone!

As an example to get things going, I'll take the pleasure of performing the first revive on thesixtyone. Enjoy!

reply »

TheRequiem
level 29
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 14 dec 07 7:46 p.m.
Does this mean that "old" songs cannot be bumped in the normal sense?

ie, Can I just bump it, instead of reviving (knowing full well it wont do much) or does it HAVE to be revived first?

Cool system either way, just curious.

reply »

karina
level 17
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 14 dec 07 8:17 p.m.
wow... it will take a lot of rack listening to revive something

reply »

Moose
level 12
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 14 dec 07 8:43 p.m.
Can you explain the characteristics of a song in "hibernation?"

Can you browse a specific category of 'hibernating' songs, kind of like browsing mammoths stuck in a glacier awaiting your BlowTorch1000?

reply »

james
level 21
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 14 dec 07 9:39 p.m.
Two important things I forgot to mention:

1. "Revive" is an unlockable feature exclusively available to listeners who reach Level 7.

2. When you revive a song, you earn a custom avatar in the song's "bumps" section, and songs you've revived get proudly featured in a special panel on your profile.

reply »

karina
level 17
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 14 dec 07 10:28 p.m.
what kind of point reward system do you have set up for people who revive songs? 1000 points is a lot to lose... and if you need 500 bumps afterward to break even i don't think it would really be worth it, would it?

reply »

james
level 21
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 14 dec 07 10:58 p.m.
I think I may not have explained the concept clearly enough. Reviving isn't designed to be treated as a point investment. It's more or less a way to flex your influence in the community and potentially jumpstart a faltering song back to public view, especially if you feel that song would benefit from more eyeballs (which will be the case as thesixtyone continues to grow).

reply »

golux13
level 25
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 14 dec 07 11:38 p.m.
But having a song in public view is usually rewarded with points as more people bump that song. That's kind of the point and foundation of the site, isn't it? And if I have 1000 points to use, I can discover 20 new songs that I like -- and see a return on that 1000 points -- instead of reviving that one song I thought was so cool. I guess I'm having trouble seeing why I would spend the points that way.

reply »

AbundantChoice
level 26
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 dec 07 7:08 a.m.
I think the point James was trying to make was that it's not about the points. You're not reviving something as an investment with the idea to earn more points down the road. You're reviving something because you absolutely love the song, and are hoping as many people as possible can hear it.

reply »

schmexplosives
level 13
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 dec 07 8:02 a.m.
...and in doing so, using a lot of points that could be used to push a lot more songs into the public eye. I don't think that many people are likely to do this, just because there's no help to make up those points from reviving a song. Good idea, I just think there should be a return increase of some kind from it. Maybe like re-discovering it? So that you'd get a lot of points made back up, even though you might not break even, at least you're not down 1000.

reply »

golux13
level 25
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 dec 07 8:03 a.m.
I sort of understand that, but why wouldn't I take those 1000 points and discover 20 new songs that I think people will really like?

reply »

bigbadbarton
level 29
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 dec 07 12:06 p.m.
Just depends on your style, I guess. I don't doubt it's something I'll do. I probably won't do it very often, but it's something that will happen. Especially as the number of listeners grows even more. Sort of another benefit I can have from all the extra points I get from the other songs I've discovered. A different use for those points. If you just like the points so that you can get more points and rise in the leaderboards, okay. But if you want to have a stronger influence in this community with one particular song, it could be quite nice.

One question I have about it though, since it is such a large amount of points to spend, how long will a revived song stay on the hot page? Will it last a bit longer than something that's just gotten bumped a bunch? As we all know, sometimes those don't stay very long.

reply »

tedrock
level 31
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 dec 07 6:09 p.m.
Perhaps there could be a 'free' revive every 8-10 levels?

reply »

golux13
level 25
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 dec 07 7:54 p.m.
I don't care about the leaderboards. I just like having points around so I can bump the stuff I really like. And yes, it's nice to get a return so I can see if other people agree with my taste.

I suppose if there were a song I absolutely loved, I might consider reviving it... but how long does it stay revived? Will I have to do it again in a few weeks?

Hmm... What about a Hall of Fame? Once every, say, 5 levels starting at level 10, you can spend X (a high number) of points to enshrine a true favorite song in theSixtyone Hall of Fame, where is will reside forever (or some really long time). Then anybody who wants to see what songs people have really loved can check out the HOF.

reply »

Snumbers
level 22
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 dec 07 10:14 p.m.
Ahaha maybe you should have a "warning" page before the point deduction for revivals? I accidentally hit revive for V-Slice song "White Dove," to see the warning screen and it hit me for 1000 points right away.

No sweat, at least I experimented on a Vanderslice track :)

reply »

sam
level 38
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 16 dec 07 5:32 p.m.
whoops :) we'll get a tutorial screen in eventually.

reply »

hodj
level 14
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 17 dec 07 7:15 a.m.
Can Revive be used to advertise a song? In other words, can I take a track with 2 bumps and spend the 1000 points to force placement? I think that would be a great way of helping smaller acts get noticed.

reply »

sam
level 38
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 17 dec 07 9:10 a.m.
It only applies to songs that have been posted to the front page before.

reply »

OneMonkey
level 16
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 18 dec 07 10:04 a.m.
I just did the same thing -- I clicked "revive" on The Darkness' "Thing Called Love" thinking it was the bump button, and without warning 1000 points went away on something I'd never bumped before, so no hope of return.

Oh well... enjoy the points, those who will reap the benefit of my revive!

reply »

OneMonkey
level 16
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 18 dec 07 12:09 p.m.
For those of you keeping score at home, much love and appreciation to Sam and thesixtyone gang for amazingly prompt and helpful customer service in resolving my own admitted mistake.

To me, it speaks volumes about the goodness of what is being built here.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading