◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans

willie
level 17
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 13 jun 08 2:06 p.m.
rwallen wrote *I think that this will all even out like any kind of economy and work out for the best.*

I don't know where you're from but I don't know of any economy that doesn't ultimately reward the advantaged at the expense of the majority, so it's a bad analogy. But I get your point- the cost will level out. Whether it levels prohibitively high for most, we'll have to see :-)

Wolffe. To continue my rant on the ills of market economics, such bussiness models result in the dominance of bland, homogenised tat for mass appeal. Which I understood this site was attempting to redress

Another option would have been to, maybe raise the cost a bit, but also reduce the value. If a revive came in on page five (for example) there would be less appeal and rush. The revive would also have to prove it's wider appeal (tuneboxing, networking etc.) to work it's way to page one, a mix of uber-rich megalomania and yogurt knitting democracy.

Better still; a separate tab for revives, only 10 or 20 (not sure) pages long, where revives (nominations) post and fight it out amongst themselves by subsequent bumping activity. Kind of a rolling t61 Hall Of Fame. This would give the reviver their 'badge', be more democratic, provide a handy list of the establish classics for newbies and keep the Hot and New Tabs free of Hey Ya over and over and over............

But what do I know?

:-)

reply »

Hilary9361
level 13
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 13 jun 08 2:26 p.m.
Looks like "Revive" is now an unlockable feature for listeners who reach Level 10, rather than 7? That means I've lost it but I'm fine with that.

Cheers for the browse-revive - as others have said, it's nice to be able to check the songs people are trying to revive.

reply »

jsuspect
level 35
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 13 jun 08 2:33 p.m.
@willie
You can just choose not to bump revives. I'll listen to them, add them to my playlist, but won't bump them.

I have no problem with them being on the New page. There might be new listeners that like the song, and it's really new to them, so if it hits the Hot page, it's deserved IMO.

reply »

willie
level 17
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 13 jun 08 2:53 p.m.
Err.... yeah.

Or S&J; could put the current standard radio playlist on the home pages, someone 'might' like them.

I think you've misunderstood me.

reply »

WhiteHowler
level 16
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 13 jun 08 4:38 p.m.
Idea: Why not have revived songs automatically drop back off the homepage after 12 or 24 hours? Since there's now going to be a revive every three hours for the foreseeable future, the front page is going to end up with more revives than new songs (at one point yesterday, 5 of the 10 front page songs for all genres were revives).

It would still let users flex their muscle and expose past hits to newer listeners, but then they'd go back off the shelf for a while rather than taking a frontpage slot from a new song that may be just as deserving.

reply »

kilexia
level 36
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 13 jun 08 5:28 p.m.
I'm a bit wary of the new system (4,000-7,000 points for a revive?) but I love the "revive bids" page.

reply »

Temple Scene
level 31
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 14 jun 08 3:21 a.m.
Just to repost something I said on the Max Bumps forums:

I don't think revives are fulfilling their original function at the moment. They should be about songs that posted and then slipped through the cracks; songs that have been forgotten until some benevolent listener comes along to remind the world of their existence.

But instead well-known songs with thousands of points are getting revived again and again - almost like people are just competing to get their favourite songs higher up the leader board.

I think they should make it more expensive to bump more successful songs.

Ric.

reply »

ahc
level 20
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 14 jun 08 2:21 p.m.
I don't like it either, I came across an awesome song by a relatively unkown artist, with only about 250 bumps, but my only option was to revive it for 1000.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 14 jun 08 2:29 p.m.
ahc, i think you may be confused: you can (and always have been able to) bump songs that are tagged for revive. just click "revive" and select the "bump" link at the bottom of the popup box.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 14 jun 08 2:31 p.m.
@ temple scene: that was certainly an intention, but not the sole one.

reply »

Dsnailham
level 23
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 14 jun 08 3:23 p.m.
has revive gone mad, 7500 to revive a track now.........

reply »

james
level 21
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 14 jun 08 7:33 p.m.
well, it's a pretty ridiculously powered ability where one person can single handedly affect a homepage listened to by thousands at any moment. so yeah, something with such demand and high scarcity (one revive allowed every 3 hours) is obviously going to command a high price based on market behavior.

it's important to note that the original revive cost of 1000 points never changed while the site's point inflation skyrocketed. revives were first introduced when level 7 was a high status and the most powerful listener had ~5-7k points. think of this latest development as a proper readjustment that restores some sort of law & order w/ revives (instead of everyone rapidly clicking revive every 3 hours and a bunch of people leaving frustrated w/ their feelings hurt b/c they didn't "win") and also reinforces the significance of the ability (something available mostly to active, high-level listeners.

reply »

TejozListens
level 33
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 15 jun 08 5:25 a.m.
I agree (^^ )

reply »

sumar
level 40
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 jun 08 10:49 a.m.
When did revives go on bid status and is there any more reward for bidding? Thanks

reply »

sumar
level 40
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 jun 08 2:19 p.m.
I will NEVER use 5k to 7+ K to revive a song. I hate this big time!

reply »

eatabagel
level 21
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 jun 08 3:03 p.m.
Sumar, I'm not sure you read enough of the post. Perhaps you should read what James has posted. If it's not worth the 5-7k to you then I think the intention of revive has been met. The 1000 cost that was previosly implemented when the top point person on the site had 13k at most. Times have changed and the feature needed to grow along with the user base. I say that it's a good thing.

reply »

lankysob
level 41
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 jun 08 3:30 p.m.
I agree bagel, it is indeed a good thing. I revived a song the other day for 7,000 points...and even though I'm up into the 300k range now, 7,000 was still hefty enough of a chunk for me to weigh whether I really loved the song enough to spend that much on it; and I decided that I did.

I look at it this way: when the revisions to the Revive system cause those of us with bajillions of points to rethink whether we'd actually want to Revive a certain song or not, then those revisions can be deemed a success.

reply »

sumar
level 40
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 jun 08 4:45 p.m.
How long do you have to have a song in revive before it actually is given to you. I have read all ten pages and still don't know. Thanks.

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 jun 08 5:22 p.m.
From James comment 7 above this

(one revive allowed every 3 hours)

Then it resets and the bidding starts over from scratch.

reply »

sumar
level 40
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 jun 08 5:53 p.m.
Ok, I put in a bid of 1200 for a song, went to renew at 3 hours and was told I had to bid 3050, bleh. Is the song listed at that amount? Of course not and I did not renew my bid at that amount. Something is very rotten here!!!!!

This new system helps those with points to burn like SNYop & others not those of us who are still working on making new ranks. Unfair? I think so!

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading