◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans

EBK
level 14
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 jun 08 7:09 p.m.
The change only allows the song with the highest bid during a certain period to get revived. That amount is the highest being bid on any particular song able to be revived. Of course this system is going to favor those with lots of points. This isn't meant to be a feature for just anyone to use anytime they please. The whole idea is to make it something people like you or I have to think about before we invest a large sum of points into reviving a song. It makes sure that if a song is revived, that you really, really wanted it revived and it wasn't just a whim. At 1,000 points, I could revive a song and probably make those points back up without feeling the sting too much. But at several thousand? I'd better really love that song.

And that's the point.

reply »

eatabagel
level 21
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 jun 08 7:25 p.m.
I think sumar isn't really paying attention to what others are trying to make obvious here.

reply »

petiejoe
level 36
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 jun 08 8:36 p.m.
The problem as I see in this thread is that some people (you know who you are) seem to think that they are entitled to reviving a song AND climbing in the leaderboards. Revives were never intended to be cheap or easy. If you really want to revive a song, you may end up setting yourself back on the leaderboards for a few days or weeks. However, the choice is yours now (short of people camping and +1'ing the bid at the end, which is why I third or fourth the recommendation to make the revive time somewhat random - I like the thought of 3 hours +/- 30 minutes).

Keep in mind, though, that if one of the top "players" keep flexing their points and spending a lot on revives, they'll run out of points eventually and then new people will be the "elite revivers".

reply »

petiejoe
level 36
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 15 jun 08 9:14 p.m.
I really like the option to browse on revive bids - I could see it being an excellent way to show music to the active community without having to actually succeed at getting a revive. Sadly you can only have one bid show up on that browse page at a time (I thought I was rather clever for putting bids on two different songs), but I'm sure that was very intentional and probably for the best anyway.

It will be funny if people submit a bid in the first few minutes assuming they'll be outbid only to have no more bids go in for the rest of the three hours.

Oh shoot - would somebody please outbid me? I'm not ready to spend 4000 points on that song ;)

reply »

icysea
level 27
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 16 jun 08 4:36 a.m.
Sounds like a "maximum bid" could help remove some of the last minute bumpers, but then I get enough of that bidding on ebay.

I guess if I want it enough, I will just drop 10k on a song I love.
If someone decides to last-minute outbid, I will just try again later.

No real loss.

Still liking the new revive system.
Just a little tweaking and it will be gold.

Oh, and give me a "premium" revive option on a song that never made it to the front.
That would make icy very happy. :)

reply »

Ryno
level 15
Re: I dont much like the new revive system | 16 jun 08 6:42 a.m.
It should be the other way around though...Bump should always be the default option while Revive is a link at the bottom...

reply »

WhiteHowler
level 16
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 16 jun 08 8:45 a.m.
I like icysea's idea of a "premium" revive for unposted songs, but it is, after all, the "Playlist of Democracy" and no one person should be able to put a song up there if it hasn't "paid its dues" by posting by itself -- at least the first time.

However, what if there were a one-page "Listener Showcase" playlist (alongside Hot/New/Best for each genre) where listeners can bid on songs to show up for a day or so? Eligible songs would have to be at least a week or two old, and have never posted to any front page (otherwise they'd be available to Revive instead). Maybe only one song per artist can be posted there per month, to avoid potential abuse?

It would be a decent point-sink (probably not as harsh as Revives, either -- making it a bit more practical for lower-level listeners), and it would be a great way for lesser-known and/or underappreciated artists to get much-needed exposure.

I know I would spend a crazy amount of points to get a few of my favorite lesser-known artists onto an easily-accessible front-page list for some real exposure.

reply »

willie
level 17
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 16 jun 08 11:32 a.m.
@WhiteHowler. Since I posted here last I've noticed the 'playlist of democracy, indeed any mention of democracy, is not now stated anywhere on the site. I guess the balance fell in favour of 'the game'. Which is fine by me, it certainly puts the new revive into perspective.

Sumar wrote *This new system helps those with points to burn like SNYop & others not those of us who are still working on making new ranks. Unfair? I think so!*

If you are working on making ranks then the revive was never going to help you. Filthy rich bastards burning points will lessen the gap between them and you.
And you are still as able to revive as you were before.
It's been stated the revive is a luxury not a basic right. Relax.

reply »

missi
level 16
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 16 jun 08 11:51 a.m.
Even though I can afford it, I still cringe at the ungodly amount of points it costs to revive, but I do see the reasoning behind it. It's a privilege to those that have earned the rank and points to allow them the option. To those that can't afford it, think of it as another achievement goal. You'll get there if you hang in long enough.

I'm betting with this new system we don't see 'Hey Ya' up there again anytime soon.

reply »

Jammers1
level 39
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 16 jun 08 6:17 p.m.
Don’t know if it’s been posted yet, but why not leave the bid amount blank like a silent auction. You bet as much as you think you can afford and hope you win. After the “auction” revived song is posted with bid amount. I think it would be kind of exciting not knowing, kind of like those first bump butterflies. That said, I have not tried to revive a song since the new system started

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 16 jun 08 7:55 p.m.
I like that idea, but I also like having the revive bid page (to see what other people are looking to revive). Torn.

reply »

Jammers1
level 39
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 16 jun 08 8 p.m.
You could still have the page just remove the points. Listener name, revive song and time bid was made could still remain.

reply »

carpex
level 35
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 17 jun 08 10:49 a.m.
I think a lot of t61 users, including myself, have grown up playing computer games in which having more points was the ultimate objective of the game. In those games, you rarely lost points. I like to see t61 more as a societal game in which we earn money and in which we spend money. The new revive system has given us something to do with the money we earn. Its like buying a Picasso or a Monet.

With my 100000 points, I can currently hit the bump button continuously for a few hours before I go bankrupt, so there has to be other ways to spend money.

I wouldn't mind seeing a system where you get some kind of privilege or "ownership" on a song when you first-bump or revive it. For example, you could get rewarded five points for each new bump the song gets, or you could get some points back when the song is revived by somebody else (I'm just brainstorming here). That may add to the gambling aspect.

Anyway, I like the new revive system.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 23 jun 08 3:14 a.m.
maybe because it's off-topic and you know exactly why you were banned? i'll leave your comment up, but this is frankly irritating.

reply »

TejozListens
level 33
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 23 jun 08 7:24 a.m.

reply »

willie
level 17
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 23 jun 08 2:12 p.m.
Unattributed quotes never stand well. Those that name third parties is not only rude, but unprofessional and extremely amaturish.
Perhaps rather than sweeping it under the carpet an apology would help.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 23 jun 08 4:12 p.m.
her account was removed (she's banned), and that consequently took her comment with her. she's been banned and knows exactly why (with prior warning). it's that simple.

p.s. facebook actually banned her yesterday b/c she tried to spam hijack thesixtyone facebook fan page. yes, it's quite that ridiculous.

this isn't "sweeping it under the carpet."

reply »

seanmcpherson
level 33
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 23 jun 08 4:54 p.m.
It's interesting that her comments and comments by others go away, but that you refuse to do the one thing she asked for (and the only thing that I know of) which is to remove her name. Seriously, how hard is it to recognize that (otherwise uninvolved) people are going to be upset that you're in a position to leave her name and your accusations out there (and are doing exactly that), but she's not free to defend herself or her actions since her comments go 'poof' and she's banned? If you're absolutely positive you're right in it, why is it so hard to say "I get what I want, which is her off the site so we can move forward" and not look so much like you refuse to take her name off for looking like maybe you were wrong? If you're 100% sure that you're in the right, you have nothing to lose by saying "I'll be the bigger person about it". Saying you banned 6 users in a forum post that people won't see in 3 weeks because it drops off the list is just as useful as naming them and then being amazed that people get upset (ie, scared that the same could happen to them) by such a seemingly-possible slander of someone's name.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 23 jun 08 5:03 p.m.
"slander" implies that we're misconstruing the truth, when it's pretty cut and dry as to why she was banned. the announcement was only made public to address some recent confusion.

interestingly enough, many services have a policy to publicize banned accounts in order to make their zero-tolerance stance clear. an obvious example is microsoft banning xbox cheaters and changing their names to something like "Cheater McCheatCheat."

reply »

Dwyndal
level 35
Re: New Feature: Revive Your Favorite Song! | 23 jun 08 5:16 p.m.
you should do that, i'd get a kick out of the name changes and the story may help lend a hand to us not crossing the boarders. Just a thought.
I'd like the name Dwindle McHasnoshine or something wackidoo like that.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading