◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans

james
level 21
Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:32 p.m.
Multi-bumping was designed to reflect "influence" -- if you liked a song, the bump multiplier was not only a way for your to show your appreciation, but also flex your influence once it was posted to the homepage. Injecting a lot of points into a newly posted song gives it a lot of momentum.

Mixing the "newest" view on the "browse" page with multi-bumping has created an unintended side effect: multi-bumping in this context has come down to power users jostling for position amongst one another for prime "bumps" while a good majority of listeners struggle to participate. The consequence is that multi-bumping is currently more about territory-grabbing than helping a good song get the attention it deserves.

As a result, multi-bumping will now be available once a song gets posted to the homepage or while listening to The Rack.

As I've consistently emphasized, thesixtyone is constantly evolving, and you can bet Sam and I will be keeping a close eye as we monitor this new adjustment. Thanks for your patience -- let's get back to listening to awesome music.

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:34 p.m.
So to re-iterate in the proper thread.
perhaps allowing additional bumps for older songs (after x days or perhaps allowing 1 bump for every y days since posted)

reply »

todash
level 38
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:35 p.m.
Will we be seeing more turnover on the new page now? This should also be coupled with a lower threshold on the new page.

reply »

todash
level 38
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:36 p.m.
This change also seems like it will cause more of a bandwagon effect and take away from the discovery aspect of the61.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:39 p.m.
Hrm. I don't like this at first glance, but I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt and see how it goes for a few days...

reply »

SuzyQ
level 17
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:40 p.m.
Not really. If anything, it could add more excitement and interactivity to the homepage as users take interest in actively helping their favorite songs move up the charts.

I think we should all just give this some time before jumping to apocalyptic conclusions. =p

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:43 p.m.
FYI apparently I do a lot more random browsing than I thought. I've already tried and failed to bump two or three songs that I saw on other people's profiles or just through browsing an artist's songs.

Allowing bumps on older songs would be a good improvement IMHO.

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:46 p.m.
All right. Let me get a clarification, then, because I"m a dense little goober. What exactly counts as the Home page? Is it everything under the "Home" through page 77? Is it everything under "New" also?

reply »

sam
level 38
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:47 p.m.
Yes it includes "hot", "new", "all-time" tabs all which contain the same songs but list them in different orders.

reply »

Julfo
level 16
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:50 p.m.
"Allowing bumps on older songs would be a good improvement"

I agree!

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:53 p.m.
Ahh. That's much clearer now. SO, looking at the low end of the All Time chart, we really don't need to get to 150+ to get into multibumpable territory. There are songs (well, one song) in the low 50's there (Revivable), and the lowest (multi) bumpable songs are thus at 92 currently.

reply »

sam
level 38
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:56 p.m.
As a reminder, you can still multi-bump from The Rack. Think of it as an added reward for being adventurous.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:56 p.m.
lyzie, you can bump revivable songs BTW -- if you click on the Revive button, in the bottom right there's a little thing that says "if you want to bump instead click here".

reply »

clemenstimpler
level 15
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:57 p.m.
I second the motion to allow for multi-bumping of older songs (maybe, say, 4 weeks after the song has been submitted to 61).

reply »

OneMonkey
level 16
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:58 p.m.
This is a bold change -- will have to let all the ramifications sink in -- but so far, I'm thinking this is a great way to move the focus away from the browse page bump race.

Kudos again and again James and Sam for building such a great site.

reply »

clemenstimpler
level 15
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:59 p.m.
One more afterthought: How about putting more songs on the rack then (if that should be technically feasible)?

And of course, a lot of kudos to you 'guys upstairs'. ;)

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 2:02 p.m.
"...you can bump revivable songs BTW -- if you click on the Revive button, in the bottom right there's a little thing that says "if you want to bump instead click here"."

Thank you, shayborg! I've been afraid to click on the Revive button 'til you said that.

Also - from a test on a good song, even a 92-bumper on the last page of "All time" can be multibumped. Not that I doubted...

reply »

eatabagel
level 21
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 2:06 p.m.
Will the point cost of bumping be lowered so that people with minimal points will not have to wait to bump a song that they love? It seems as if multi-bumping by power users has afforded some lower level users an opportunity to bump a song sooner.

reply »

todash
level 38
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 2:07 p.m.
Wow ... there are now just 63 people on the browse page and 3474 on the hot page.

reply »

SuzyQ
level 17
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 2:12 p.m.
Um, it's still 247 people for me, same as it was before the change.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading