◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung

james
level 21
Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:32 p.m.
Multi-bumping was designed to reflect "influence" -- if you liked a song, the bump multiplier was not only a way for your to show your appreciation, but also flex your influence once it was posted to the homepage. Injecting a lot of points into a newly posted song gives it a lot of momentum.

Mixing the "newest" view on the "browse" page with multi-bumping has created an unintended side effect: multi-bumping in this context has come down to power users jostling for position amongst one another for prime "bumps" while a good majority of listeners struggle to participate. The consequence is that multi-bumping is currently more about territory-grabbing than helping a good song get the attention it deserves.

As a result, multi-bumping will now be available once a song gets posted to the homepage or while listening to The Rack.

As I've consistently emphasized, thesixtyone is constantly evolving, and you can bet Sam and I will be keeping a close eye as we monitor this new adjustment. Thanks for your patience -- let's get back to listening to awesome music.

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:34 p.m.
So to re-iterate in the proper thread.
perhaps allowing additional bumps for older songs (after x days or perhaps allowing 1 bump for every y days since posted)

reply »

todash
level 39
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:35 p.m.
Will we be seeing more turnover on the new page now? This should also be coupled with a lower threshold on the new page.

reply »

todash
level 39
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:36 p.m.
This change also seems like it will cause more of a bandwagon effect and take away from the discovery aspect of the61.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:39 p.m.
Hrm. I don't like this at first glance, but I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt and see how it goes for a few days...

reply »

SuzyQ
level 17
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:40 p.m.
Not really. If anything, it could add more excitement and interactivity to the homepage as users take interest in actively helping their favorite songs move up the charts.

I think we should all just give this some time before jumping to apocalyptic conclusions. =p

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:43 p.m.
FYI apparently I do a lot more random browsing than I thought. I've already tried and failed to bump two or three songs that I saw on other people's profiles or just through browsing an artist's songs.

Allowing bumps on older songs would be a good improvement IMHO.

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:46 p.m.
All right. Let me get a clarification, then, because I"m a dense little goober. What exactly counts as the Home page? Is it everything under the "Home" through page 77? Is it everything under "New" also?

reply »

sam
level 38
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:47 p.m.
Yes it includes "hot", "new", "all-time" tabs all which contain the same songs but list them in different orders.

reply »

Julfo
level 16
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:50 p.m.
"Allowing bumps on older songs would be a good improvement"

I agree!

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:53 p.m.
Ahh. That's much clearer now. SO, looking at the low end of the All Time chart, we really don't need to get to 150+ to get into multibumpable territory. There are songs (well, one song) in the low 50's there (Revivable), and the lowest (multi) bumpable songs are thus at 92 currently.

reply »

sam
level 38
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:56 p.m.
As a reminder, you can still multi-bump from The Rack. Think of it as an added reward for being adventurous.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:56 p.m.
lyzie, you can bump revivable songs BTW -- if you click on the Revive button, in the bottom right there's a little thing that says "if you want to bump instead click here".

reply »

clemenstimpler
level 27
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:57 p.m.
I second the motion to allow for multi-bumping of older songs (maybe, say, 4 weeks after the song has been submitted to 61).

reply »

OneMonkey
level 16
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:58 p.m.
This is a bold change -- will have to let all the ramifications sink in -- but so far, I'm thinking this is a great way to move the focus away from the browse page bump race.

Kudos again and again James and Sam for building such a great site.

reply »

clemenstimpler
level 27
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 1:59 p.m.
One more afterthought: How about putting more songs on the rack then (if that should be technically feasible)?

And of course, a lot of kudos to you 'guys upstairs'. ;)

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 2:02 p.m.
"...you can bump revivable songs BTW -- if you click on the Revive button, in the bottom right there's a little thing that says "if you want to bump instead click here"."

Thank you, shayborg! I've been afraid to click on the Revive button 'til you said that.

Also - from a test on a good song, even a 92-bumper on the last page of "All time" can be multibumped. Not that I doubted...

reply »

eatabagel
level 21
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 2:06 p.m.
Will the point cost of bumping be lowered so that people with minimal points will not have to wait to bump a song that they love? It seems as if multi-bumping by power users has afforded some lower level users an opportunity to bump a song sooner.

reply »

todash
level 39
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 2:07 p.m.
Wow ... there are now just 63 people on the browse page and 3474 on the hot page.

reply »

SuzyQ
level 17
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 2:12 p.m.
Um, it's still 247 people for me, same as it was before the change.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading