◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans

phreakymonkey
level 34
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 6:13 p.m.
That should be Your Cunting Daughter. My apologies.

birdman said: I think this whole thing just moves the bumping competition from the Browse page to the New page.

Yeah, but if it's gonna be anywhere it ought to be somewhere prominent and public, don't you think? Previously it was a few hundred people who had figured out how to exploit the system.

reply »

AnnieB
level 43
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 6:15 p.m.
oi...now that would be a nightmare!
(that's in response to the last sentence)

reply »

AnnieB
level 43
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 6:15 p.m.
on the previous page that is

reply »

birdman
level 37
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 6:39 p.m.
birdman said: I think this whole thing just moves the bumping competition from the Browse page to the New page.

phreaky monkey said: Yeah, but if it's gonna be anywhere it ought to be somewhere prominent and public, don't you think?

The thing is only a handful of songs get to the New page and those songs are practically a sure hit. you can never go wrong bumping a song on the New page with so many listeners right now. It takes away more than it improves, I think. And the time limit thing needs to be implemented right now, I have found songs a month old that wanted to bump a lot and can`t, that shouldn't happen.

reply »

clemenstimpler
level 15
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 6:56 p.m.
Hm... Andrew Bird's "Cataract" has 339 bumps, but it has not been posted to the homepage, and therefore I cannot express my appreciation of this ingenious song appropriately. Only to be bumped from the rack. Should I file this as a bug?

reply »

AnnieB
level 43
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 7:16 p.m.
i apologize, clemenstimpler. i revived "heretics" last night so that is probably why it has not been posted yet. if i had known it was going to show up today, i wouldn't have, but obviously i had no idea. so sorry for the delay.

reply »

clemenstimpler
level 15
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 7:39 p.m.
No problem with that. I was just worried that the system change - which is certainly a good thing, if the 'old-song'-problem is resolved one way or another - may have messed things up. :)

reply »

clemenstimpler
level 15
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 7:41 p.m.
ups, it is late - I was talking about "Cataract" rather than "Heretics". I do not believe that reviving one song influences bumping another song by the same artist. Now I - finally - go to bed.

reply »

Marcin
level 13
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 10:01 p.m.
The multi-bump restriction doesn't make sense. It should be the OTHER WAY AROUND.

Songs that hit home page can only be bumped once. Songs not discovered can be bumped many times.

reply »

zagudabuda
level 19
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 10:08 p.m.
First KosmikRay thats very unfortunate....

Directing my attention to James and Sam... it seems like this was something I was talking about yesterday and now its actually implemented into the system. I don't know if I had any affect on your decision or not or if you had been thinking about it for awhile but what a crazy thing it was to see this when I first logged in.

I agree with people posting here that old songs need to be multi-bumpable as well. For it does create a problem that old songs being discovered takes even longer now.

Jared and Birdman are along similar lines of thought as to how I envisioned multi-bump delays. Its interesting that you mentioned there was point milestone system at the beginning. I was thinking more along the lines of Jared's idea that there should be bump limits by how many points a song has.

The system right now is definitely bringing things back to the front page and the Rack is getting some use from me again. I won't agree that the way it is now is perfect or a compromise for everyone but I'll try it out and see how it is for a day or two.

reply »

AnnieB
level 43
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 11 jan 08 11:44 p.m.
just fyi, make sure you finish multi-bumping songs off the rack before they finish playing.

reply »

rkeller4
level 18
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 12 jan 08 1:10 a.m.
k, i've read through the first five pages of comments and have a couple of thoughts:

1) the rack is a tough place for me to listen to new music. when i listen to a new song that i don't like, i often skip around in the song to give it a second chance. then i might go listen to five other songs, then want to return to the original song to give it another try.

the rack allows the listener no such flexibility. its linear nature is pretty excruciating. i have to either endure a lot of music that is not to my taste (and there is a lot) or take a chance on missing out on something. i'm afraid i'll have to miss out on a lot.

2) "multi-bumping...has come down to power users jostling for position...while a good majority of listeners struggle to participate."

i'm not sure i agree with this description. a brand-new user has just as good a chance of discovering a song as anyone, and anyone, no matter their level, can succumb to a feeling of "struggling to participate".

all in all i think it's a lovely game, because it's more than a game. it allows great music to move quickly to the fore. it is democratic and resistant to manipulation.

someone told me that kexp.org, the no. 1 internet radio station, has been adding your top songs to their playlists - and i can see why.

hope this a useful addition to this discourse.

reply »

journeyman
level 13
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 12 jan 08 1:24 a.m.
@ rkeller4: Do they at least plug/credit thesixtyone?

reply »

arpkane
level 17
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 12 jan 08 1:33 a.m.
@rkeller4

i agree.

i signed up for the61 eight days ago. within my 'rookie' period i was solidly on level 12. the 'gaming' aspect of the site is one of the reasons i was so attracted to it--and note that it has NOT detracted from my experience of the site. i've purchased more music than my meagre budget probably allows......but it's great music, and i have the61 to thank for it.

'fairness' seems a silly issue to be concerned with.......when discovering new songs, i would multi-bump ones that i KNEW would be popular (with one accidental exception). this allowed the new, good music to be noticed quickly once the number of bumps could be seen. it brought good music to the forefront. if people didn't like the music, they wouldn't bump it, frankly.

eliminating multi-bumping on new tracks also eliminates this possibility of 'encouraged listening'.....

perhaps the issue should be that a person who discovers a track shouldn't be allowed to multi-bump until it becomes Hot or reaches 100+ bumps. this allows for a game-like 'early discovery' aspect while still allowing everyone a chance to accrue some points and thus feed the cycle of discovery.

i hate the new system. it definitely lessens my enjoyment of the site....

reply »

arpkane
level 17
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 12 jan 08 1:35 a.m.
i completely forgot the main point..........

the old system didn't detract from my experience. i was able to use the system to my advantage, to progress. starting off with low-risk bumping, and moving up. everyone could do it. and it was beautiful!

reply »

arpkane
level 17
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 12 jan 08 1:43 a.m.
P.P.S.

Listeners to 'Hot' at this hour have dropped to 829 from the ~1600-2100 that would be listening before the new system was implemented.

Numbers speak for themselves.

reply »

grammaslamma
level 12
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 12 jan 08 1:43 a.m.
Did James not say that the site is "constantly evolving" and that they'd closely examine the site following the changes? Keep in mind that James and Sam bring this great site to us FREE OF CHARGE and even quit their jobs to do so. I'd imagine they made these recent changes with good intentions, and, looking at the site and how they've made it this far (this place is INCREDIBLE!), I'd imagine they'd be very sharp at making the necessary changes down the road to make thesixtyone THE BEST spot of music.

I'm sure they appreciate feedback and aren't sitting still on this. Keep the faith.

reply »

Dv8ted1
level 42
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 12 jan 08 2:42 a.m.
Sam...James, thank you!

initially i thought that these changes were a bad idea, but the more i thought about it, things became clear. you've remedied my bumping addiction(well...at least slowed it down a little). :o) i've found that i'm saving so many more points, than i used to. lol! not to mention the time wasted on the browse page. :oP and in turn, i've reverted back to the new and improved rack.

it's great that you can select different genres for the rack now! i'm getting to hear more of what i really enjoy, and being introduced to old and new songs alike. something had to be done to slow the inundation of music that was pouring onto the site and going directly to the homepage. this wasn't giving any of the older songs a fair chance(since there were a lot less listeners just a couple of weeks ago). i was wondering if someone would come up with a solution to force the older songs to be heard. great job!

i look at it like this:
everyone who had the ability to multi-bump in the beginning stages of the site should consider those bumps a reward of some sorts for being an early listener.

improvise, adapt, and overcome.

reply »

Dv8ted1
level 42
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 12 jan 08 2:48 a.m.
oh...and the solution isn't perfect, but i'm sure you guys will tweak things accordingly to address other problems and concerns like finding a way to allow the older songs to "catch up" to the fairly new songs posted(that were pounded with multi-bumps, and not necessarily because they were good, either).

reply »

garpthecat
level 19
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 12 jan 08 3:19 a.m.
What if you allow multi-bumping early for everyone but redefine multi-bump so that it is actually a single bump with a bigger investment and therefore potential pay-off. For instance: I catch a song as a third bumper. I cannot move it up the charts by multibumping but I can increase my investment. If being the third bump costs 48 points,I can increase the strength of my bump to 240 by bumping 5 times. Therefore my payoff is greater but I cannot gab all the early bumps.

Not sure if I am making myself clear but I think the idea is solid. I need to read the other posts now to see if it was suggested already. Just needed to get the idea out of my head. BTW I am addicted to this site....which is a good indication you are onto something here.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading