◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans

lankysob
level 41
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 12 jan 08 3:36 p.m.
Oops. My previous post was in response to golux13.

reply »

mrshake
level 22
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 12 jan 08 5:59 p.m.
Sam and James could always consider refreshing the whole site and setting all users back to zero. They do it all the time with RPG online games, especially when in beta mode. So if they eventually feel that they have it the perfect balance in the point sytem, I think a point wipe is in order.

Or what about wiping everyones points every week or every month, so that there aren't these "gods of bump" looking down on the world.

Then there could be a leaderboard to show who accumulated the most points last week(or month) and the week(or month) before that and so on...

So if the the61 is a "game", then every week(or month) would be considered a new "round" of gameplay, resetting all player points to 0.

reply »

mrshake
level 22
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 12 jan 08 6:07 p.m.
Elaborating more on my previous posted idea...

This would create a greater sense of urgency to find and bump songs, because now you need to gather as many points as possible within a time limit (week or month).

The leaderboard would be keeping track of who is in the lead and then when a "round" ends, the top players would be shown in a "last rounds winners" leaderboard and "previous weeks winners" leaderboard.

So a new player could come in, undoubtedly do horrible at gathering points, score very low in the "round" but learn enough to do better next "round", until one day he could easily be the winner of a round.

reply »

Moose
level 12
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 13 jan 08 1:59 a.m.
I didn't realize the forum activity had picked up so much, I'll start cruising around.

Sam and James - why don't you register sites thesixtytwo through thesixtynine, give each one the same content but each utilizes a different bumping structure. See which one becomes the most popular. :)

reply »

phreakymonkey
level 34
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 13 jan 08 12:10 p.m.
thesixtynine has probably already been registered and put to... erm... other use.

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 13 jan 08 12:22 p.m.
Heh. Not yet.

reply »

scintillaterich
level 31
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 30 jan 08 8:13 a.m.
Hey does anyone know how the rack works?

I've just been listening to it for the last couple of hours and the same songs and artists keep on coming up. I thought it was random and database wide?

Cheers

Rich

reply »

simonrdixon
level 36
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 30 jan 08 9:10 a.m.
I just don't know how I feel about any of this. By the way, I'm assuming that this change didn't last, since I just multibumped some songs on the browse page yesterday... but I don't even understand how the bumping structure works in the first place, and I see no need to continue making it more and more complicated... but that is just my opinion... on the other hand, it is a very complicated concept anyway, and must remain so in order for your initial vision to work, so I guess any changes that you feel are necessary to make the site what you always intended for it to be, should be made. I just don't really stand any chance of ever understanding exactly how it works, especially if it keeps changing.

that said, i love the site, and i think you've created a wonderful thing!

reply »

tracye
level 12
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 30 jan 08 9:13 a.m.
Read bump multiplier pt 2 in the announcements section.

reply »

rdub
level 12
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 03 feb 08 8:12 p.m.
Hmmm... I feel that the system is very much focused around a core group of users to which it is becoming more and more difficult to become part of. It's almost impossible to discover new songs before one of the "regulars" has snatched it up, and harder yet to get ahead without a lot of points (I found out the hard way by reviving a song that was already fairly popular in the past and only get a few more bumps after the revival, which put me in the point hole so to speak. And as much as I love the Rack, I don't want to spend my entire day listening to it).

Oh well. Hopefully things will turn around so that more of us can enjoy giving artists we like a boost without worrying if we spent too many points. Otherwise I'll just listen and stop voting all together.

reply »

petiejoe
level 36
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 03 feb 08 9:35 p.m.
They said from the beginning that revives are not about earning points. If you're in search of points, you don't have to get a lot of discoveries to do okay. I'm not even sure if any my discoveries have paid themselves back. If I'm online and actively listening, I try to bump a song within the first 50-100 bumps and that gets quite a few points for a reasonably popular song.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 03 feb 08 11:53 p.m.
The last set of changes were designed to make it easier for newer users to get points. Like petiejoe says you can make a lot of points without discovering songs -- I only discover songs if I think they're really good (except for that Trey Mills song I discovered by accident) but getting a bump in early on a good song pays itself back many times over.

I also don't understand what you mean by "harder yet to get ahead without a lot of points". Isn't having "a lot of points" your definition of "getting ahead"? :)

reply »

rdub
level 12
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 05 feb 08 11:46 a.m.
Well, it's like the success breeds success thing... the more points you have the more point you can invest (or lose, but it's more likely that you'll get them back since there are no "market crashes" where your points lose value).

In other words, you can be more spendthrift with your points and throw more of them towards artists that could use the help (even if their music isn't aces, yet).

You ask me if "having 'a lot of points' is your definition of 'getting ahead'?" Well, whether that is my definition or not, you will agree that the reason why thesixtyone has done fairly well for itself is the game/gamble element that rewards you for bumping a song that later gets bump-love by others.

So, is the only reason I am here points? No. I love discovering music and having the illusion that my bumping of songs is helping out artists. But, whether it's human nature or just me, doing well or getting "a lot of points" is part of why I come, no doubt.

Which pretty much suffocates my original gripe, I know. Because if I enjoy the reward, a more evenly distributed point system would take away the glamor of the reward - making it less desirable.

Oh it's funny how my human brain is wired.

reply »

hawkeyejoes
level 24
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 06 feb 08 2:21 p.m.
I'm actually going to agree with you here. Since the shift in multiplier rules, I seem to keep trading the same thousand points. I'll spend about a thousand during the day to bump and then gain that back by the time I login the next morning. And, unfortunately for me, I dropped a ton of points in multipliers before I realized that the returns were diminished.

So I've pretty much conceded that I'll probably never level up again. Since I am now much, much busier at work then I was when I first joined the site, I don't have the time to really comb through all the new bands like I once could. And while isn't the end of the world, it is disappointing that I know that I will never make it back into the top 50 users (what? This guy was in the top 50? Top 50 ugliest, maybe! HAHAHAHA!).

But at least I have enough points to stay mobile and not have to worry constantly about whether I have the capitol to bump a band I find. I know that this move was made to even out bump distribution, but I don't understand how lower level members are supposed to advance, short of catching a lucky break in discovering the next BIG thing.

reply »

saritalr
level 42
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 06 feb 08 2:24 p.m.
ditto!

reply »

iWex
level 40
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 10 feb 08 6:51 a.m.
Has the Rack point system changed? Or have just not been paying attention? Points range from 1 to 4 points (why?) and I just got a "Rack Refund" when I bumped a song...

So confused, so very confused...

reply »

Dv8ted1
level 42
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 10 feb 08 2:43 p.m.
great changes with The Rack. i just received +12 points for listening to a song, and then a refund of +2 points for bumping it. this makes it more worthwhile.

kudos again James and Sam! :D

reply »

DrewKC
level 9
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 24 feb 08 10:25 a.m.
bumping is basically points based voting where the bigger fish you are, the more voting power you have, there is a danger of a level 13 to 16 aristocray taking over and making peasants of all who resist.... I have 123 points, there are people I can max bump 6 times, if I had enough points to, while some guys have over 100 TIMES my points, easily tough jumping in a game where others have "leeveled up" and have astronomical points, I'd hsvr to lidten to the rack for a couple of years to get the points some of these guys have, not that they don't deserve it, but how do we avoid self creating a "royal elite" class, that's potentially even more troublesome....then it IS like the real music business where a powerful few dictate what gets played and how often...

reply »

bazile4
level 15
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 24 feb 08 10:45 a.m.
Drew, if you spent less time whining and more tim playing the game, you might have a chance.

And I say this as someone who joined in early december and leveled up to 7 maybe a week and a half ago. When did you join? You're already at level six... I really don't see what your beef is.

reply »

DrewKC
level 9
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 24 feb 08 7:24 p.m.
I'm not whining, I'm stimulating thought and debate, I am Trying to make folks go Hmmmm???
I don't care in the least about playing "the game." This is not a game to me,(or to any musician) It IS my real life, these are my real songs, and I REALLY want you to listen to them, and like them enough to keep listening. I hate when people "play the game" and cause cheese ball junk to move up because it makes good points, at the same time burying others... truth is thats just what happens in the "real" bus too, fluff often triumphs over substance, I.E. "Brittney"
I care about the music itself, I care more for the opportunity to network with artists and fans than anything.. my band has made many new fans overseas and elsewhere by virtue of this site. I am honored at that fact.
I am only really pointing out how the "game" can turn into a little micro model of the real bus and "bump" the same crap as radio does.
It all lies in the idea of jumping in the bandwagon, if you bump what everyone else is bumping not what you actually like but what you think will do well points you're doing EXACTLY what the major labels and Clear channel do, getting behind whats hot, therefor mirroring the real industry..
Not whining just food for thought.....

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading