◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung

arpkane
level 17
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 24 feb 08 10:57 p.m.
well, i got to where i am right now (level 13) during my rookie period (that'd be within 7 days of joining) entirely through playing the game.

now, you say that you're using the site mostly to find new music and to network, which is great! and that's the point of the site. but at the same time, playing the 'game' doesn't hurt either....it lets you level up and multi-bump and get 23,000 points. try first-bumping a few tracks, or get in there when they're below 10 bumps on the browse page for this week. just 1 bump will send you a few hundred points richer if/when the song hits the home page. just choose wisely and you'll be rockin' in no time.

reply »

arpkane
level 17
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 24 feb 08 11 p.m.
Truthfully, you only get TONS of points if you're one of the first to bump a song that ends up being popular.

Yeah, you do get points by just bumping what's on the 'hot' page (and you have to at first since you don't have many points...I remember that my first bump was 'West Coast' by Coconut Records when it was at 500 bumps...righteous). But ultimately, use the Browse==>This Week and first bump some tracks! or at least get in there while they're under 10-15 bumps....

If you can correctly predict what will be popular (and feel free to take a few risks, they usually pay off) and what other people like, you will quickly not only level up but get more enjoyment from the site.

reply »

arpkane
level 17
Truthfully, you only get TONS of points if you're one of the first to bump a song that ends up being popular.

Yeah, you do get points by just bumping what's on the 'hot' page (and you have to at first since you don't have many points...I remember that my first bump was 'West Coast' by Coconut Records when it was at 500 bumps...righteous). But ultimately, use the Browse==>This Week and first bump some tracks! or at least get in there while they're under 10-15 bumps....

If you can correctly predict what will be popular (and feel free to take a few risks, they usually pay off) and what other people like, you will quickly not only level up but get more enjoyment from the site.

reply »

arpkane
level 17

reply »

arpkane
level 17

reply »

petiejoe
level 36
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 24 feb 08 11:25 p.m.
Mob psychology is a funny thing. I've played it as a game to a certain extent. Like most others, I swear that I've never bumped something I didn't like (except for the few times where I made it very clear that I was bumping as a joke), but I'm more willing to bump something that's on the edge of my musical tastes if I'm fairly certain that it's going to get bumped up by others. Sometimes it's because of the points, sometimes it's a matter of peer pressure. Sometimes it's just validating my poor self-esteem when I see a song get posted that I bumped earlier.

The big difference between this and the "real bus" is that a song doesn't require the middle man (big corporate label) to be heard. While big players like AnnieB and KosmikRay (two that I personally keep track of) can definitely influence a song, plenty of new bands get fast-tracked to the front page without their help. And if they started consistently pushing useless junk, they would quickly be replaced by someone with fewer points but a better sense of quality music.

As for the "cheese ball junk," sometimes that's what I like to hear. Not everybody has the super-refined taste in music that you do. One of my favorites that has been berated by several other music "purists" is Jonathan Coulton's Code Monkey. Sure, it's fluff. He's no Mozart or Tchaikovsky. But that's why it's classified as "pop, rock." Some people bumped it just to be part of the bandwagon, but there were a lot more people bumping the heck out of it because they love the song.

I will disagree with bazile4 on one point. I'm not sure that "whining" is a good word for it - I've written several replies just to delete them without posting because I didn't want to feed the troll. I don't think you're really as upset about these issues as you portray yourself. At a glance it definitely does come across as whining "poor picked on me, my band isn't going to get as much recognition as I think it should" but you're much too persistent for it to be that. I think you just like the attention that you get from hijacking tons of threads with your complaints. Sure, you've got an axe to grind about various issues, but even more than that, I think you like to get people riled up in defense of the site and its policies. Food for thought or fuel for fire?

reply »

timyjl
level 40
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 25 feb 08 2:54 a.m.
Drew,
as a member of the "Royal Elite"™ ©1978 with, at present, 444.13008130081301x your reported score, I can assure you that you wont get enough points to join us privileged few from the rack alone. You hafta play the game not played for lust of points, but for influence. When you can lay down a your max bumpage on a deserving track and send it to the top page of the browse>activity and if others start biting, the points come in spades if you are in early enough. Even on the second page of bump order if it really takes off.

There are numerous quality bands on this site that haven't yet gotten the recognition they deserve. Many without any front page action at all (unlike your band with 2 of 8 posted so far). There are countless playlists devoted to these unfortunate souls by those that care enough to do their research. cdipaolo has a list of at least two dozen such playlists put together by these "Royal Elite". If you truly want to network and support these other musicians (by that I mean outside of the KC circle that dominates your bump history. Not saying its wrong, but it might be time to diversify) I suggest that you check them out.

P.S. Everyone has different tastes in music, yet I haven't seen anything approaching Ms. Spears' caliber make it to the front page. If you can prove otherwise I'm all ears.

P.P.S. It is bad form and generally impolite to stray so far from the designated topic of a thread.

reply »

DrewKC
level 9
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 25 feb 08 3:27 a.m.
I don't think my band is picked on, indeed not, quite the opposite, we've had great success here, more than elsewhere for sure.
I am just a herd up-setter by nature, like the dumb Wendy's commercial thing, I've always been the guy who yells out "what about this."
I totally lack refinement in my musical taste, I like some of the dumbest songs in history ("I Wanna Hold Your Hand", is one of my all time fav.'s)
I like cheese ball junk too sometimes, I was once a HUGE Dr. Demento fan, never said I didn't, music is entertainment after all...
What I am saying is theres a distinct difference between bumping a song because YOU like it (merit based) and bumping a song because you THINK others will like it (popularity based). The latter is mostly what the industry does.
You wonder what my motivation is?
When a majority of the influence wielding shakers and rollers are on a bump whats popular trend some REALLY strange stuff can happen, did you see the Simpsons and the " Ralph Wiggums for President" episode?
I LOVE to stimulate conversation, dialog, and debate on nearly any topics, I like the intellectual stimulation provided by these forums. I like hearing how others perceive things. I think that greatness may come from the exchange of ideas
I think people mistakenly think I'm upset, I don't "portray myself" this is just me being me, I'm not upset in the least, I'm really having a great time, and making ton's of new friends.
I type like I speak, everyone who knows me will tell you so,
unfortunately my Ultra-dry sense of humor and sarcasm don't come across at ALL typed, So I have to be careful, if we ere all sitting here in the control room of my recording studio listening to music and having this same set of conversations, we'd be laughing, and having a blast.
As I posted elsewhere before, I'm an old dude, when I was young the idea of being able to talk with like minded people from all over the WORLD, was an unthinkable fantasy, except maybe at the UN ( that is an example of a joke which I'm sure didn't work)
Younger people today take this for granted I don't know where your from, but I promise you 20 years ago if you weren't from my little corner of KC we'd NEVER of had this conversation, it would not have been possible.
For example I have made a great new friend in England, I know, "So what" So that's super cool to me, I never knew anyone in England before, that's all the way on the other side of the world for crying out loud...the whole idea of open worldwide conversations, like the one we are having is still priceless to me, I like you people a lot, you are an interesting bunch.
Theres an old saying I can't attribute it right off, it say's
Great minds discuss idea's, small minds discuss people..
I'm not trying to start fights I'm trying to make people go Hmmm and "what if" and think a bit.. outside the box....

A Troll??? Indeed not. Trolls live under bridges. and wish to cause trouble. I live in a house, and wish to cause growth, expansion, improvement, and invention. the only axe I have to grind is the one that puts holes in the box to look out..

reply »

DrewKC
level 9
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 25 feb 08 3:30 a.m.
Sorry If I'm off topic. I ramble...
I'll shut up now,
Sorry folks for my soapboxing..

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 25 feb 08 5:41 a.m.
I've only been here since just before Christmas. It doesn't take that long... besides the site isn't THAT old.

IIUC, the more bumps on a song you put, the less effective each new bump is than the prior bump. So, my 10th bump is less rewarding than the 3rd bump, even (or especially?) if they are in blocks (all at once).

and you're complaining more than soapboxing.

So, what will the "aristocracy" make you do? Scour the sewers? Vote for shit you don't like? Taunt you and fart in your general direction?

reply »

Obedient Waves
level 5
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 09 mar 08 4:49 p.m.
I was initially annoyed that bands can't bump, now I realize we also can't ADD a song like the listeners can. Double annoying! The61 should change this. They could make it so bands can't bump themselves. Some of us are not just here to promote our music, but also to enjoy it as well.

reply »

arpkane
level 17
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 09 mar 08 6:33 p.m.
Why not just create a listener account?

I'll post the following on feature requests as well.

Oh, and for Sam & James: a great solution for the 'bands bumping themselves' phenom would be to have the ability to 'link' listener accounts through band accounts.

That is, through the band's account page on t61, you should be able to say 'create member listener page'. an incentive of doing this instead of creating an account the typical way perhaps could be gaining points every time the band levels up, while not being able to bump the band itself.

The members' pages could be found through a panel in the profile -- add a 'members' module like on Myspace/Virb/Purevolume.

Viola: the perfect solution.

Please hire me! (wink wink)

reply »

justlevine
level 12
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 09 apr 08 6:21 p.m.
im sorry, maybe i missed it in the thread, but what exactly is the formula for bump multipliers?

reply »

Dv8ted1
level 42
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 09 apr 08 9:24 p.m.
it's never really been defined because "the site is always evolving", according to the administrators.

from my experience here...the formula for the multipliers will change at least once within the next month, but don't expect an explicit answer as to why. just assume that it's in the best interests of the site.

i always thought it was kind of fun trying to figure out how the scoring logarithm had changed, but it grows tiresome after awhile. basically, if you like a song then bump it. if you like it a lot, then bump it more.

reply »

ZUBA
level 15
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 10 apr 08 12:59 p.m.
That's really well said!
The important thing here is to avoid thinking too much about the rules and the guys behind them!

reply »

Krieger
level 35
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 17 apr 08 12:06 p.m.
Well I for one thought it was a good thoughtful point and worthy of discussion. Because everything pretty much is.

I do notice that there becomes a certain flavor the the front page and thus receiving points as well because of the elite. But people do dig and things do get found. You'll get your points pretty easy to get more bumpability than you'll use 95% of the time. Or so I think.

But the feel of the site i think it somewhat controlled by these elite. But theoretically they got there from knowing what others want to hear. That's what the front page is really about I think. I have all "my" favorotites in my profile and listen to them regularly. I love my station.

Still wish there was more rock that rocked on the front page. When did rock get all touchy feely deep emotional? I like that too, but I like it better when it was the exception. Kind of like in the 80's when rockers all had hair spray and played ballads. I really missed the Rock then and I miss it now.

Still DrewKC, don't let people make you hold back on the ideas. Truth stands up for itself in the face of questions. The box sucks. Thanks for soapboxing, the talk is good for its own sake.

Peace

reply »

Krieger
level 35
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 17 apr 08 12:08 p.m.
I think that first bumpage should pay less.
It seems people who make the big points are bumping everything that has 0 bumps no matter how sucky.
That shouldn't pay unless that song really goes somewhere. To earn umpteen points when it still only has 40 bumps, all of whom are just people jumping on the low number.

Please people, not bitching, just throwing ideas. Ideas are good, right?

reply »

notdoingmyjob
level 27
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 20 apr 08 4:52 a.m.
Krieger I bump stuff at 0 all the time and it hasn't gotten me anywhere. I've been here since December and I'm still level 9. I may have the worst points/bumps ratio on this site.

It may be because I have a habit of bumping nobodies who make music with a cassette recorder in the hope it will encourage them to go out and buy an even better cassette recorder.

Sometimes I feel guilty about bumping artists because getting discovered by me is the kiss of death. Time to throw away your cassette recorder and go back to pottery.

Alternately perhaps I have no taste in music? A&R; could study me as an exercise in what not to sign.

But seriously, just looking at these previous posts people need to realize this "game" isn't going to reward everyone's music taste equally. Look at the listener leaders in different genres and it's pretty clear that if you're not into "rock, alternative" or "alternative, rock" you'll never score points fast or easily. If you really want the points just subscribe to the most popular artists, log in 10 times a day and bump anything newly uploaded stuff before the competition gets to it. So. Much. Fun.

reply »

Krieger
level 35
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 21 apr 08 5:19 a.m.
I think you're getting there just in time for leftovers would be my guess. Look at some of the top earners that appear regularly and check out some of those first bumps. I know music is a taste issue but nobody likes the taste of poo (Just give me that one please)!

Sorry to hear about your death touch. I find I can control sports and make certain teams lose by betting on them as well.

I only bump the crappy cassette recorder bands when I think it'd sound bette on an even better cassette recorder.

In the end it's all good. Well except that time nobody got anything. That sucked.

reply »

notdoingmyjob
level 27
Re: Bump Multipliers & The Rack | 21 apr 08 12:56 p.m.
Well in that case it's clear the top earners don't get too many points for bumping a popular song first, because if there's so much competition for those songs they deserve the points. Maybe they're more dedicated than you (or me) to the task of staying logged in all day and predicting the taste of the 50th percentile alt rock fans that populate this site.

I'm not above this. I've bumped stuff for points plenty of times but mostly so I'll get more points to spend on what you would call "poo" (discovering poo is an expensive habit). Now days I have more points than I have time to listen so I don't bother.

Meiko or Your Cunting Daughter?

Chris Merritt or CJizzle?

For me choice is easy.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading