◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans

sam
level 38
Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 4:12 p.m.
First off, thanks for all the feedback you guys gave concerning the previous changes to multi-bumping. James and I have taken that data as well as analytics from the new system into account for the next batch of changes which we'll describe below.

First off, the cost of a bump is no longer based on the number of bumps a song has received, but the number of listeners who have bumped the song so far.

The reward system has been adjusted analagously. Under the previous system, you were rewarded based on how many bumps a song received so far during the time of the bump. Under the new system, you're rewarded based on how many listeners bumped before you. We hope this will reduce the effects of "territory grabbing" on the browse->new page.

We're also bringing back multi-bumping on all pages, but with a caveat. While you still stand to receive more rewards from multi-bumping, the effects of multi-bumping on rewards have been greatly reduced. We hope this will encourage listeners to use multi-bumps for the purpose of influencing songs they want to hit the home page, instead of having investment incentives primarily drive the multi-bumping.

The reason behind our previous change was to encourage listeners to use multi-bumping to influence songs mainly. But we didn't take into account for the fact that multi-bumping is also used legitimately by many listeners to influence songs before they hit the home page, and not just after.

Again, we'll be monitoring the new changes closely and making adjustments as necessary.

Please make sure to refresh to see the client-side changes.

reply »

mrshake
level 22
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 4:17 p.m.
That sounds pretty reasonable :)

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 4:17 p.m.
Ahh, so I wasn't going crazy after all! :)

I think I like the concept. I'll see how it works for a few days before adjusting my bumping pattern accordingly.

Kudos for the quick response.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 4:22 p.m.
Hmm. Bumps are still really expensive even if like 50 users have bumped a song. For example, I went back and multi-bumped Stab the Matador - Red Light and each bump cost 33 points (!) despite the song already having been bumped by 50-some users. I would suggest making these a little cheaper if they aren't going to be rewarded much.

reply »

lankysob
level 41
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 4:24 p.m.
Very reasonable, indeed. Thanks for the note and explanation, Sam. Hope you guys don't have too big of headaches from trying to sort all this out.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 4:29 p.m.
@ shayborg: yes, that's a legacy thing resulting from the old system. we're making adjustments right now to scale properly with the new system. thanks.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 4:33 p.m.
Great, thanks. Again thanks for the quick responses.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 4:34 p.m.
You're very welcome. Thanks for your patience.

reply »

mikegreen
level 26
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 4:50 p.m.
Just to say, as this stage of the debate closes, thanks to Sam & James for a rapid and very user driven response, and thanks to all those who helped make this such a thoughtful and open debate, conducted in such a friendly spirit with many different views. I've enjoyed this - it say good things about this site and community....

reply »

JoeyTee
level 27
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 5:29 p.m.
I agree with Mike...the quick response says wonders about the great community we have here.

I think this new solution is the right solution. Influence without the extreme benefits of multi-bumping.

This site should not be about the game PRIMARILY, it should be about the music. I look forward to finding new music and catching up to the leaders! but finding new music is my priority of course :)

reply »

Snypod
level 40
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 5:31 p.m.
Seems like a very good compromise that still accomplishes your original goal. Nicely done.

reply »

arpkane
level 17
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 5:48 p.m.
woo! rock!

reply »

todash
level 39
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 6:10 p.m.
Sounds like a great idea for a fix.

reply »

clemenstimpler
level 27
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 6:43 p.m.
Instead of just kudoing James and Jean - though they certainly earn that - I just wanna say that the all-over experience of this place is the most pleasant I have made up to now in the internet (being online since 1994). Even some short-time bickering is not detrimental to this experience. I personally believe that this is a place to stay - and I sincerely hope that the overwhelming majority of users feels the same. Therefore, my kudos in fact go to the whole of this community, that is, to all of us. Let us stay on to keep this the everchanging way it is. ;)

reply »

iwoo
level 14
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 7:14 p.m.
I think the changes sound very promising and keep a good balance. Basing the cost/reward on number of unique listeners who have already bumped... simple and seemingly effective.

And lowering the return on multibumps is fine. I multibump for how much I like the song, and because I want to influence others to notice it, not for points. However, since I don't really pay attention to my points, if I start to run low I suppose I would have to actively start "playing the game" by trying to make discoveries or hover on the "new" pages. Hmm.

I did notice that it cost me 64 or so points to discover a song recently... is that the new default, or is it based on my level?

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 7:21 p.m.
It's based on the level of the artist.

reply »

rfriedel
level 32
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 9:27 p.m.
Those changes sound fantastic!!!

Love the site guys keep up the good work!!!

reply »

eatabagel
level 21
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 9:58 p.m.
Nice Job, I had intentions on coming on this evening to suggest that only the first bump a user gave rewarded any points and all others were just influential(Making it ok to have multi bumps on all pages). I see that this isn't exactly what happened though I am satisfied nonetheless.
Thanks Guys!

reply »

unstuckintime
level 32
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 12 jan 08 10:16 p.m.
yes, I'd like to say thanks James and Sam for keeping everyone honest (me included) and still allowing the multi-bump. kudos.

reply »

crimsondevil
level 41
Re: Changes to bump multipliers Part II | 13 jan 08 1:43 a.m.
such a close and precise monitoring is quite promising
thank you guys

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading