◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans

james
level 21
Banner Ads and Financial Support | 14 jan 08 2:50 p.m.
Banner ads are a vital financial resource in supporting thesixtyone.

We currently serve banner ads from two providers. The majority at the moment are run by Google, and these banners are the exact ads that uncontrollably interrupt your music when you click on them.

We've listened to your feedback and agree that this usability blip is kind of annoying.

Therefore, we're going to temporarily pull the plug on the Google banner ads for the next few days. This is more or less an experiment on our part, but we'd hope that those who have spent countless hours enjoying thesixtyone would consider making a PayPal donation to keep this place going.

Let the experiment begin!

P.S. We're working with our other ad serving partner on some deliciously cool ads that won't disrupt your music should you click on them. You've probably caught a glimpse of this system if you saw the American Apparel ads we ran over the weekend. We'll have more up soon.

reply »

petiejoe
level 36
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 14 jan 08 5:39 p.m.
As somewhat of an aside, I've been very impressed with the general quality of the ads on this site. I haven't seen any "FREE IPOD" or "VISITOR 999,999 - YOU WIN" or obnoxious flashy stuff. A lot of the ads have been for musicians (very applicable for this site), and all of them have been in good taste. I must admit that I haven't clicked any (sorry), but hopefully my $5 donation later tonight will help make up for that ;)

Thanks for keeping this site classy.

reply »

TempusxFugit
level 9
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 14 jan 08 7:03 p.m.
One thing that drives me insane is when I look up lyrics to a song online, and while I'm listening to the song off iTunes or what have you, the ads start /talking/. Uhm, excuse me? I was listening to something, there. Kthx.

Good call, I think. Hope it works out!

reply »

skadoodle
level 12
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 14 jan 08 7:39 p.m.
This site has introduced me to at least 50 new artists in the past two weeks alone. That in itself is enough of an argument for me to donate. With that being said, you guys should be receiving a little something from me shortly. It's not much but hey, every little bit helps right? =D

reply »

lankysob
level 41
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 14 jan 08 9:35 p.m.
I've been meaning to donate for awhile...all it took was a kindly put request to finally get me to get around to it. Donation on it's way...I knew I just sold some things on ebay for a good reason... =)

I used to spend just as much time as I now do here on multiple blogs and websites all over the place. Now, I could care less about all of them thanks to this beauty. Thanks again, James and Sam, for everything you're doing here, and keep up the amazing work.

reply »

SpugNothuson
level 27
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 15 jan 08 12:59 a.m.
I've donated and will do so every month.

thesixtyone is a welcome addition to our office, keeps me happy and keeps the minions working quietly.

reply »

PHermas
level 23
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 15 jan 08 3:38 a.m.
I have to say I've never even seen the ads on this site because I have an adblocker; however I really love this place. I've been surfing this whole interweb thing since the early 90s and this is probably one of my favorite sites ever. It's not only great because of the awesome tunes, but the amazing interface Sam and James have created. I pay for most of my music (note: I said most) especially the artists I respect (note: not metallica). I love that I can get some of the songs on T61 from amazon, DRM free and a high vbr as well. The rest I can just listen to whenever the hell I want. So I gave you silly bastards $10 for all your hard work, not because I like you (even though I probably would) but because I think this site deserves it. (I should stop using parentheses)

P.S. Even though I donated don't ever, ever give out points for that shit. I don't want some rich bastard coming in here and bumping every thing. It should all be about the music.

reply »

LMMS
level 30
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 15 jan 08 5:23 p.m.
Brilliant idea guys! I've been meaning to send you a few bucks for a while now; and this is the perfect time to do it. Granted, it's not much; but hopefully added into the rest, it'll do some good. Keep up the greatness!

reply »

Fakesensations
level 14
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 16 jan 08 2:08 p.m.
i'll be sending some cash your way anyway, but would be interested - as an artist - if you'll be selling ad space anytime soon?

reply »

rfriedel
level 32
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 16 jan 08 5:30 p.m.
@Fakesensations

I know that what you suggest is with the best of intentions but let's hope not!

I feel that t61 selling ads like you suggest would be a poor idea. I feel that this would severely detract from what the core meaning of this site is, easily and efficiently discovering new music/artists. This is made possible because all artists are on equal footing when it comes to exposure on this site. I feel that artist/label ads would give those artists with the financial means a strong advantage over a less financed artist.

reply »

petiejoe
level 36
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 16 jan 08 6:41 p.m.
I saw some ads for mainstream musicians before (when the ads were running). Apparently they didn't do much good since I neither clicked on them nor remember who it was, but I don't see any problem with this kind of targeted advertising. We're on a music site - if you decide that you have to run ads to keep in the black, then the ads might as well be something that music fans would be interested in. As such, I don't have any problem with the idea of musicians on the site buying some ad space, as long as it's clearly marked as a paid ad. It might get them a little bit of extra exposure, but if their music isn't any good, they won't get the bumps and they won't make it to the front page.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 16 jan 08 6:53 p.m.
They were for Eric Clapton and some pop country singer I can't remember.

reply »

calculatedCHA0S
level 31
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 16 jan 08 9:21 p.m.
Yeah, I agree with you petiejoe and not so much with rfriedel. I don't see any problem with music related ads on the site to keep things going. You haven't been swarmed with donations yet, and it won't be as successful if you charge to use the site. You have to eat somehow.

But I think what most people are missing is that they're changing ad companies, because when you clicked on an ad it interrupted music play in your current window rather than opening in a new tab or something. I don't think they are debating whether or not to have ads at all or what exactly will be the in the content of the ads. Judging by the donation response, I'm sure the ads will be back soon enough. (Which is fine with me).

But thanks for trying to get rid of the annoying music interruption guys! Much appreciated.

reply »

rfriedel
level 32
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 16 jan 08 10:19 p.m.
Sorry I don't think I was clear...

The targeted ads that ran before were fine. They were (of course) targeted therefore relevant. The were also unobtrusive, which is what I was referring to. Think myspace or godaddy when you think of advertising. I, for one, hate the way they do it, but it is proven to get results.

What I was trying to get at is that I would hate to see this site dominated by only a select few ads (myspace) and some sort of advertising every turn you take (godaddy).

Sorry that is more of what I meant than the whole exposure thing.

reply »

mikegreen
level 26
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 17 jan 08 5:38 a.m.
Yep great idea - I've paypalled $30 to you - that's only about the price of a top CD in the UK, and I've downloaded enough music to feel guilty that I'm a student and can't give more.... I'll see how I can do next month, too...

How about showing a donations bar (in the TV charity appeal style - maybe naff, but effective), and percentage of target met, so we can get a sense of how much difference we're making. In the long term, maybe a track purchase option that you do directly, and share the proceeds with the artist - I guess Amazon have it kinda sewn up for you now, but once the listener base is big enough, and the Amazon deal comes up for negotiation. This could be an additional option to cover artists who may already have distribution deals fixed.

I'm open about whatever you guys need to do to keep the business leveraging down, and keep this fabulous show on the road..... Cool deal guys.......

reply »

DocXango
level 17
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 18 jan 08 6 a.m.
Since financially I can't donate at the moment, although I am planning to, I turned AdBlock off so that I could click through the ads and generate some form of revenue for the site. I have no problem doing this, a minute or two out of my day for a good cause, even though I will never actually buy something on the ads.

However, when I clicked on the ad for the game Jericho, the music stopped. Just don't let the music stop and the ads are fine.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 18 jan 08 12:56 p.m.
We can't control the music interruption -- that's on Google's end. On the bright side, we're also introducing another ad serving system in conjunction with Google that doesn't do this.

reply »

timyjl
level 40
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 18 jan 08 2:35 p.m.
Control/Command+click = new tab. Music still plays and everybody's happy Yea!

reply »

petiejoe
level 36
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 18 jan 08 3:34 p.m.
Or shift+click to open a new window (works on certain unmentionable browsers)

reply »

batface89
level 45
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 28 jan 08 8:26 p.m.
Asian girls for love and marriage! Haha. That's the best ad I've seen.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading