◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans

lankysob
level 41
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 28 jan 08 8:50 p.m.
To paraphrase something I wrote James earlier:

The only ad I got to see on here today was "Colon Cleanse Pro - Flush Up To 20lbs From Your Colon"...which is just a phenomenal thought. Is this a blatant message for us to get up away from t61 for few to visit the bathroom? I figure if nothing else, at least us listeners know James and Sam have our health in mind.

reply »

timyjl
level 40
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 28 jan 08 10:46 p.m.
I don't know about anyone else but the only reason I'm here is for the Iranian TV online.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 28 jan 08 11:29 p.m.
taken from another thread i responded to earlier today:

ads via google are usually not up to us. we spend a good amount of time tweaking our filters to prevent anything that could be borderline inappropriate. please send me the urls to inappropriate banner, and we'll add them to the filter.

streaming music is expensive, and adblock use certainly does not help. i can understand adblock in the context of heavy-flash ads that make your laptop fan go ape shit or the annoying free ipod girl, but, as you can see, we've been very deliberate in keeping thesixtyone scum-free.

reply »

lankysob
level 41
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 28 jan 08 11:38 p.m.
I don't block 'em and I generally just don't pay attention to them (except for the digital girl on the MYVUE ad or whatever that's like a punk-rocker, digital Barbie - if she were real, her proportions would be 7' tall with lady parts the size of my head, which is just weird). I only pointed out the Colon Cleanse Pro because I thought it was funny. Reminded me of an SNL skit from 1989 of "Super Colon Blow". I just didn't think anyone actually made products like that. So, even though I know you're not talking directly me, I just wanted to state my case since the ads are only 1 of 3 ways you guys accrue any revenue (and I was saddened today to see the THANKS page hadn't grown much in volume...which only means I need to donate some more in the near future.)

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 28 jan 08 11:58 p.m.
yeah, i just wanted to emphasize 2 things: 1) google ads aren't very targeted, though we try to keep them relevant/appropriate; 2) while ads are a key resource for us, we're not going to sell out the user experience with some of the more shady/intrusive ads you find on the web.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 29 jan 08 6:27 a.m.
For those of us who are using a HOSTS file, which servers should we unblock?

I unblocked the indieclick and now have the smoochies at the top.
Can't solve which'n to get the sidebar advert.

My home system has no adblock, so I'm not a complete mooch... honest.
And I work from home a few days a week, just at work I can't entirely remove the hosts file for fear of getting some of the more interesting or invasive stuff.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 29 jan 08 6:31 a.m.
Additionally, is there a way to buy an album and have part of it go to you?

There is one I am buying when they release it, but the "buy" only goes for mp3 downloads (that I've seen).

I did already buy "Everything All the Time" because of this site, but there was no way to do so via the site.
"buy" let me to here for Funeral (Album version).

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 05 feb 08 5:41 a.m.
For those of us who are using a HOSTS file, which servers should we unblock?

I unblocked the indieclick and now have the smoochies at the top.
Can't solve which'n to get the sidebar advert.

For the record:
I did a binary search, of sorts, and discovered that blocking the "pagead2.googlesyndication.com" redirect enabled the other advertisement to show.

So, if anyone is using HOSTS to filter out certain advertising, you can help thesixtyone.com by unblocking the google adwords service as I just listed.

(Look for the line that reads:
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
and change it to:
#127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
and the advertising comes through.
I've done it for a couple days and would close and reopen the browser and it would reflect whether I had the # there or not. [when the # was there, I could see the advertising and enable Sam and James to receive revenue for the ad service. When the # wasn't there, the service was blocked]
)

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 05 feb 08 5:43 a.m.

reply »

so long, and thanks for all the bumps
level 30
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 06 feb 08 11:49 p.m.
forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, this thread seemed just about right.

i'm sure there has been discussion of t61-listener subscriptions as a revenue stream.

as mentioned elsewhere, i agreed wholeheartedly that paying listeners should not get any special bump privs.

however, they could have one super power, which would to control the portion of the revenue stream destined for the musicians.

in essence, t61 could become a combination record company/radio station run by the hive-mind.

paying listeners get 'shares' to invest in their favorite bands.

running some arbitrary numbers: if, like public radio, 10% of listeners were to subscribe @ say $5/month, then at the 100,000 listener mark t61 would generate $600,000/year. maybe 1/3 of that gets earmarked for the musicians? (side note: today musicians, tomorrow independent movie directors, this f*cker is seriously scalable).

the 90,000 non-paying listeners would enjoy the same, fine t61 experience, bumping their favorites, discovering new bands.

the 10,000 subscribers would 'invest' their shares in their favorite bands, most bands would see some revenue, bands that resonate with the most subscribers might get enough to make a proper album, or tour, get a decent website, maybe make a bitchin' music video. (cibo matto - sugar water!!!!!),

i bet that many of the fine bands here would produce some amazing work were they to be given a monthly revenue stream of $500.

reply »

level 30
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 07 feb 08 12:12 a.m.
more ramblings about potential benefits:

this model discourages the spamming 'vote for my band' type of behavior. if you want a voice, pay into the system.

everyone is vested, bands want everyone listening, listeners want more music, subscribers want the site to grow, and the musicians to flourish.

separately, what if listener playlists had an option of including brief, tasteful t61 approved audio ads. those listeners with a large audience may choose to insert an occasional ad in order to support the artists, or maybe even generate revenue for themselves.

reply »

level 30
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 07 feb 08 2:07 a.m.
okay, one more, i'm sorry, verbosity, my forte is.

so, i bet there are 100 radio stations across the country that would play a weekly (or even daily, for that matter) hour long t61 podcast, a totally modern version of the king biscuit flour hour.

it would be the local listener's favorite show. hands down. cause it'll always be new, fresh.

and, those radio stations have revenue streams which need to be tapped.

syndication, baby.

reply »

willie
level 17
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 07 feb 08 2:39 a.m.
*writes down 'verbosity' for future use*

Quick question. Does clicking on the ads generate extra income for t61 or is advertising at a flat rate?

reply »

james
level 21
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 07 feb 08 2:55 a.m.
it's click through.

reply »

willie
level 17
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 07 feb 08 4:31 a.m.
A bit more verbosity would have helped. I had to google 'click through' ;-)

So it's worth spending a couple of minutes clicking the ads.
Will do.
Thanks.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 08 feb 08 7:26 a.m.
Is there such thing as an audio advertisement? Say every Xth song, a brief "This segment is brought to you by newegg.com, click the advertisement to visit our site".

(Where Xth is some determinant made by someone other than I...)

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 08 feb 08 7:33 a.m.
also... and I don't know if this is a Sam and James thing or on Google's end... can the ads be set up to open in a new window? I've clicked some and forget that they open in this same window.
Ta.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 08 feb 08 8:12 a.m.
(Some ads do pop in new window [Willie Nelson, for example] and some open in the current window [NASCAR])

reply »

batface89
level 45
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 08 feb 08 8:21 a.m.
Supergrover: From my experience, links in flash ads are usually hard coded in the flash and you don't really have any control (unless you make the ad, of course). The popup control would be programmed in the flash ad.

reply »

Pansophical1
level 31
Re: Banner Ads and Financial Support | 12 apr 08 10:50 a.m.
This could also be done with a tasteful balloon, like the music notes, and points...

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading