◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
thesixtyone is a music discovery game that connects artists and fans
Topic:

Browse -> Activity [locked]

james
level 21
Browse -> Activity | 24 jan 08 11:14 p.m.
Our mission is to give every bit of music on the web the opportunity to find its audience, and, with that in mind, we've added the "sort by activity" view to the Browse page.

This essentially highlights unpublished songs that are actively being bumped on thesixtyone. Most importantly, it places less emphasis on a song's upload date by empowering listeners -- especially those with hefty multi-bumping abilities -- to breathe life back into older, possibly overlooked music.

Time to start maxing out on AnnieB's "underrated" playlists...

reply »

timyjl
level 40
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 1:42 a.m.

Yes Sir, I like it!

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 3:03 a.m.
Good stuff.

reply »

Snypod
level 40
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 4:06 a.m.
I agree that this is a good update and should be the default view on the browse page, but would it possible to give us the option to choose for ourselves which sort method is default?

reply »

DocXango
level 17
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 6:08 a.m.
I like the new sort options, but is there any particular reason that we lost the other sort options?

reply »

todash
level 38
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 8:30 a.m.
Great Idea. I can see how this has already resulted in songs making it to the main page.

reply »

dabagboy
level 34
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 10:51 a.m.
Great Idea!!!

love it in concept, but in practice I'm a bit flummoxed by it.

So I have bumped a 14 day old song about 3x it has 252 bumps (never been posted) it's "Reggae" so when I "browse" "Coming Soon" "By activity" there are only three pages to scroll through it's not there....

SO....

I bump it 7x
refresh the "by activiy" view and nothing, the odd thing is there are songs listed in that view that have never been discovered much less bumped? and several with 1-3 bumps?

does it take time for that view to refresh/resort/update?

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 10:59 a.m.
it does take time to update. I would guess around 10-15 min (the same sort of delay between events happening and them being posted to your subscription feed)

reply »

petiejoe
level 36
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 12:35 p.m.
I think that this change makes it even more important to be able to see from the browse page if you've already bumped a song. Right now, I have to go to the artist's page and click "bumps" to see if I've already bumped the song. With some songs, I don't care because they're awesome enough to get bumped every time I hear it, but other songs, I really only want to bump it once. If I'm browsing new music, then I can usually keep track of whether I've bumped something, but if I'm listening to a mix of old and new stuff, I might not know if I've bumped something three weeks ago.

reply »

shayborg
level 36
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 5:56 p.m.
Just wanted to give the feedback that in practice this seems to be working pretty well. A lot of older songs are getting some renewed attention through the new "by activity" page. That would have been impossible before. Great idea, guys.

reply »

kemcfeely
level 29
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 6:22 p.m.
I like this new view...I found a month old Misfits cover by Alkaline Trio that popped up to page 1. Who would have known...I wouldn't have searched for it and I hadn't heard it in the rack.

So far so good. Keep up the good work guys!

reply »

TejozListens
level 33
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 8:05 p.m.
wohoooooooooooooooooooo \(^O^)/

reply »

AnnieB
level 43
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 10:56 p.m.
i think this has got to be one of the best features that have been implemented so far. sam and james, you guys are simply brilliant!

oh, and just so the rest of you are aware, there are numerous other listeners with their own underrated playlists. for those of you that do have a list going on, perhaps you can make a small comment to announce that you do? i don't know, just an idea since it'd provide an easy access to your profile. obviously, everyone has their own personal picks and are entitled to share it with others :-)

reply »

rfriedel
level 32
Re: Browse -> Activity | 25 jan 08 11:56 p.m.
I have to say that I am really diggin this feature!!!

Also, if you don't mind my asking, why did y'all remove the amount of current listeners text?

reply »

Snypod
level 40
Re: Browse -> Activity | 26 jan 08 1:47 a.m.
Ah cool, you made it remember the last sorting method used. Well done.

reply »

dabagboy
level 34
Re: Browse -> Activity | 26 jan 08 9:46 a.m.
I'm still thinking that this feature is perhaps a bit bugged? at least when it comes to specific genres. They seem to not update at all, at least the reggae genre?

reply »

dmexican
level 15
Re: Browse -> Activity | 26 jan 08 11:55 p.m.
i had the underrated playlist even before AnnieB

but i stole the idea from someone else, can't remember who though. anyways, i like the new addition

reply »

dmexican
level 15
Re: Browse -> Activity | 26 jan 08 11:57 p.m.
also, wanted to say, i do miss the thing that shows how many people are listening, it would be handy to know when were good times to 14-bomb an old overlooked song so it gets more exposure.

reply »

dabagboy
level 34
Re: Browse -> Activity | 27 jan 08 1:12 p.m.
OK I figured it out, the "discovered/posted" thing is bugged....my profile shows who/when discovered but not "posted" even the artists profile doesn't show "posted" so I bump a "discovered" song despite the fact that it is posted....

reply »

eatabagel
level 21
Re: Browse -> Activity | 27 jan 08 7:08 p.m.
Dabagboy - What? I don't follow what you are saying.

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading