◄|
|►
Loading... (0:00)
To our faithful listeners,

We've decided to formally shutdown thesixtyone.com -- our servers will go offline at midnight, May 1st 2017.

Artist tipping and music purchases will be functional until then, so please spend any remaining credits by month's end. 
A final payment will be made to artists following the shutdown.

thesixtyone was our baby for most of our twenties. We're incredibly sorry we weren't able to keep things going in the 
right direction.

2007-2017

Thank you for being a part of it.

Farewell,

James Miao & Samuel Hsiung

Kiwikewlio
level 32
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 12 jun 08 7:21 p.m.
Well I meant to add on I clicked revive and clicked through, expecting the old system... I'm very sad about this. I hope some kind soul outbids me!

reply »

eatabagel
level 21
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 12 jun 08 7:45 p.m.
First off I would like to say that I like this idea. In theory I think it will work out well. I am a little disappointed that this was just changed without mention. Kiwi bid nearly a third of her points because she expected things to operate as usual.
It will inevitably happen over and over again.

I guess this just goes back to the major complaint that users have on this site. NO COMMUNICATION. I know that maybe some closer attention could be payed by us users though that would be like expecting me to make sure that my car still goes backwards when I put it in reverse.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 12 jun 08 8:30 p.m.
we're sorry about the mixup some users experienced, but we clearly changed the revive box to explain the changes. many users don't even read the announcement section, so adding a notice there probably wouldn't have done a whole lot to keep users from casually hitting revive thinking they'd get the old system.

one thing we'll probably do better is make the revive box more distinctive so users will take notice of the changes and actually read the explanation before hitting revive.

reply »

Snypod
level 40
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 12 jun 08 10:22 p.m.
I'm not sure I understand how this solves the problem of the old revive system. Won't things be just like they were before, only instead of a scramble to be first, now it will be a scramble to be last.

reply »

sam
level 38
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 12 jun 08 10:51 p.m.
There's now a confirmation box making sure you want to spend X points bidding on a revive.

SNYPod: You may have a point. However, the new way of reviving provides a more systematic way of rewarding the revive to the user who wants it the most.

reply »

comrade
level 18
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 12:01 a.m.
Cool solution to the reviving problem. I've got a couple questions about how it works...

Is the minimum bid amount based on the current high bid?
Is there any way to see the current high bid?
If you are holding the high bid and get out bid, are you notified in any way so that you can raise your bid if you want?

reply »

SallySilvera
level 40
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 12:14 a.m.
@James "many users don't even read the announcement section, so adding a notice there probably wouldn't have done a whole lot to keep users from casually hitting revive thinking they'd get the old system"

For those of us who do, and there seem to be plenty, it might still be helpful if some form of explanation of the new system appears here. I still don't understand how this works and it seems I'm not the only one. Also, if there is an explanation somewhere, we could all point others who are scratching their heads to it.

reply »

james
level 21
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 1 a.m.
@ comrade: you can view the the revive bid queue by visiting browse and sorting by revive bids.

@ sally: there's an explanation in the revive popup of how it works. we added a confirmation to the flow to prevent peoeple from accidentally reviving songs before really understanding what they're doing.

reply »

Hilary9361
level 23
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 2:20 a.m.
Because revive remains popular regardless of the points price, would it be worth reconsidering how a song qualifies for revive?

Awhile ago any song that posted 15 days prior, turned into a revive option; this was later changed to 30 days. And any song that's already been revived becomes a revive option again after 30 days.

This seems quite a small window of time. Maybe it should be something like 3 months? Or maybe the revive period should be calculated according to the original mass awareness of the song, i.e. if a song gets 1500 bumps first time around then a lot of listeners are aware of the song and maybe it should lie low for 6 months before offering it up to newbies. Or if a song only gets a few hundred points first time around, it could be available for revive in 3 months?

reply »

Ryno
level 15
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 3:48 a.m.
"SNYPod: You may have a point. However, the new way of reviving provides a more systematic way of rewarding the revive to the user who wants it the most."

I think you have it wrong Pod; now the system is geared for the users who can SPEND the most. Everyone under level 15 can basically say goodbye to revives now because there is no way we can compete bidding. I'm not dropping 1/2 my points to revive a song (It was going to cost me over 7000 points to revive a song this morning).

Shitty fix guys...really shitty fix...

reply »

WhiteHowler
level 16
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 4:34 a.m.
The price should gradually drop over time as the novelty wears off and more people get the achievement (or give up on it because it's currently too pricey).

I'm not as worried that the super-high-level listeners are going to monopolize the revives. If they're continually putting up insanely high bids under the new system, they won't be high level for very long.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 4:54 a.m.
Is this new bid system explained somewhere?

You'll be here all week, try the veal?

reply »

Alex Gloworld
level 15
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 4:58 a.m.
@ Ryno: Actually you are quoting James' reply to SNYPod, not SNYPod himself.

reply »

supergrover
level 37
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 5:01 a.m.
I think WhiteHowler is on the right line of thinking; when people get that achievement, the price will likely lessen. Think of it as an IPO... lots of early interest drives the price up.
Eventually, the interest will wane and the price will normalize to some value likely less than kiwi's 7k.

Ryno: it's a damned if you do/don't situation here. People complain that some users point levels are too high (for whatever that means... I didn't know it was a race to be AnnieB) and this might be a luxury item. dunno. glad I don't have to do p/r.

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 5:02 a.m.
I for one can confirm there isn't any song that I want anyone to hear that much. But if I were it would be something by YACHT, since those songs were all revived over 4 months ago.

Question. Is there only one bid in now or does the browse page for revive bids only show the top bid? Because the other benefit of this system that hadn't been mentioned yet, was that you could at least have the song put out there to people looking at the list even if you didn't win (at least you could last night when there were pages of entries).

reply »

iyzie
level 44
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 5:32 a.m.
I'm very happy to see fewer revives in general. And to have them more expensive. If I ever see Hey Ya in the Revive queue for the rest of this year, I will outbid it.

Currently I see one 7000 pt bit that is 8 hours old in the revive queue. Does the revive bid cost reset after the queue is empty? What is the new revivie period? If a bid can be there for 8 hours, it seems clear that the period is no longer 3 hours.

I do think it would make some sense for the revive period to be somewhat randomized (every 4-6 hours)?, so that people won't sit around and try to poach a revive in the last seconds with a bid of +1.

reply »

haras
level 33
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 5:36 a.m.
I think it would make more sense if the bid amount was reset back to 1000 points every 24 hours.
Maybe that would happen if noone put in a bid for 24 hours, who knows??

reply »

ImOnlySleeping
level 39
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 5:37 a.m.
I think the random time function would be good. Even if it is something along the lines of 3 hours +/- 5 minutes.

reply »

FlashG
level 13
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 5:57 a.m.
Other solutions could keep some of the problems away....eg
limits to the number of revives per song....
or allow subsequent revives only if a song got a threshhold of bumps after it's last revive.
Or an increasing revive price for later revives.
All things you may have thought of. Maybe reviving to a different list of favs ...keeping the hot list etc for the new stuff.
Re how long between posting a revive...instead of a time basis maybe only 1 per 5 new song uploads...or 10.
I do like that I can now bump unrevived songs...don't know what I'm doing with that...I suppose adding a bit of pts to the artist.
I'm glad I already got my "revived a song to the home page" merit badge, cause I think it's going to be a loooooong time before I revive again.

reply »

haras
level 33
Re: I know youre working on the revive system b... | 13 jun 08 6:02 a.m.
Yippee!! Bid amount has reverted back to 1000 points as there are no bids!

reply »

« back to announcements

downloading